IFish Fishing Forum banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

· Registered
2,789 Posts
I can't answer that but can share what I see. We use chuck roast, add the recipe ingredients and let it go. Once the butter melts and the juices in the meat seep the roasts are submerged in it's own juice and the butter. Venison is more lean so I suspect fewer juices from the roast. If it where me I would keep an eye on it for the first hour or two and if it looks like it may not be cooking in enough juice, add beef stock or even water. Hopefully someone else that has tried deer chimes in and gives a better answer.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
I think I'm going to try this with a deer roast. Any tricks to keep it from drying out? Cover with bacon?
I have not done this with a deer roast but have done an elk roast. I did add beef stock, couple cans I think. I didn't come out pull apart done like the beef roasts do, but sliced and served it was awesome..............

· Registered
16,777 Posts
See my comments in your reply below...........

All right, I'm trying this for the weekend. I didn't know they still made those ranch dressing dry packages!
We buy it in powder form at Costco in a shake/pour container.
I usually steer clear of recipes that call for adding soup mix (even though it was a staple of my mom's kitchen) but this looks too good.
Google up the copy cat recipe for Lipton onion soup mix and make your own. I do this so I can control the amount of ingredients in the mix as we don't like it so salty.
I do a slow cooker just about every Sunday. That way even if the Seahawks lose I still eat well.
.....also, we add minced garlic (to taste) and this time I added thinly sliced shallots. We also add double the amount of pepperoncinis and it's awesome.

· Registered
10,869 Posts
Speaking of - i've got one in the crock pot as we speak :D

-jokester

· Registered
2,516 Posts
It's a good roast. I think it smells even better than it tastes as it's cooking, but that's not to say it tastes bad!
The ranch and onion soup mix made it smell like cool ranch onion doritos, kinda "fake" smelling, but mouth watering!
I too added shallots, and more pepperoncini.

I love the slow cooker on Sundays; come in from outside to add logs to the stove and start drooling.

I saw the recipe for homemade onion soup mix, maybe next time. I made the mistake of rubbing a small amount of salt (and pepper) onto the roast before I browned it and combined with the salted butter and the packaged mixes it was just a tad too salty for me.

· Registered
3,546 Posts
It's roasts like this that makes me realize that sometimes a simple dish, like a pot roast, that you have cooked for years can be considered new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha Ha. I looked up the recipe and that's close to how I've done it for years. A can or two of cream of mushroom soup plus the french onions soup packet with some pepper. An hour or two before it's done, throw in potatoes, carrots, and chopped sweet onion.

· Registered
16,717 Posts
Don't think I mentioned it, but I have taken to adding a cup or more of sliced mushrooms on top of the meat before adding soup mix, butter and pepperoncinis. Adds depth of flavor and makes the gravy even richer.

· Registered
850 Posts
I just learned of this recipe earlier this year from a coworker. It comes out delicious. Here is what I have done the last 2 times to slightly tweek the flavor for taco night. For the seasoning I use 1 pouch of dry onion soup and 1 pouch of “Old El Paso Slow Cooker Seasoning Mix Beef Barbacoa”. I get it at our Winco. I also throw in several whole garlic cloves to cook with the meat and then mash them in with the potatoes.

Attachments

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Been a while since I've made a Mississippi Roast. Just dropped one in the crockpot. Now to figure out sides to go with it. Thinking homemade macaroni and cheese, with some cheese that I smoked last month. Maybe serve it over rice tonight. Too many choices.

· Registered
2,789 Posts
Been a while since I've made a Mississippi Roast. Just dropped one in the crockpot. Now to figure out sides to go with it. Thinking homemade macaroni and cheese, with some cheese that I smoked last month. Maybe serve it over rice tonight. Too many choices.
The Mac and Cheese sounds like a great option. If you have a sous Vide cooker bathe a good helping of carrots for the allotted time and look forward to leaving the table satisfied and full.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
The Mac and Cheese sounds like a great option. If you have a sous Vide cooker bathe a good helping of carrots for the allotted time and look forward to leaving the table satisfied and full.
I shredded the roast and served it over rice. Between that and the mac &cheese it was a very heavy meal. Added some salad to the mix to lighten things up. If you left the table hungry last night it was your own fault.

I think it was the first time my kids have tried it. I was skeptical, as they are picky eaters, but I was surprised that 2 out of the 3 asked for seconds on the meat, when ch never happens. I was told that it can become a regular menu item.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bumping this to the top for the up coming colder/wet weather...............

A favorite of ours...........

81 - 100 of 100 Posts