IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

· Registered
16,722 Posts
David, I started out with the French onion but switched over to Johnny's Au Jus Mix.
Jeff, thanks for the warning about the pork getting dry. Thinking one could use cider for the liquid ...

:meme:

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Today I finally got around to trying this out again. My first try was with a deer roast. It was edible but very dry. I used a beef roast today and it is a night and day difference. After shredding, I left the meat out to cool and every time I walked by I grabbed another piece.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,784 Posts
Today I finally got around to trying this out again. My first try was with a deer roast. It was edible but very dry. I used a beef roast today and it is a night and day difference. After shredding, I left the meat out to cool and every time I walked by I grabbed another piece.
I've done deer, elk pork and beef with this recipe.....

With the deer and elk I've had to add a cup or two of beef bullion as jus because their meat is typically lean with very low fat content to keep it moist during the cooking process. Just make sure to use the low sodium as jus (beef bullion).

With the pork, same thing, has a tendency to dry out so we add some chicken stock. Vegetable stock would work as well. Bill suggested the use of apple juice or cider as well and that sounds good. Again, if using the stock, make sure it is low sodium.

With the beef we just follow the recipe except we make our own onion soup mix so we can control the amount of each spice. And we add about twice the amount of pepperoncini's (they're little pieces of holly goodness).

That's what's worked for us, hope it helps some........

David, this roast has become an addiction at our house.
Our house as well....................

· Registered
16,784 Posts
Im trying to decide how to serve it tonight for dinner. Sandwich, burritos, over noodles, I can't decide.
Sorry, hope I'm not butting into the conversation, I just like passing on some good foodie stuff we've experienced as well.............

This is how we plate up (bowl up rather) ours........

I make up a big pot of garlic smashed (not mashed, chunkier) potatoes and steam up some frozen sweet corn to go with it.........

In a large bowl put in a big scoop of potatoes and make a well in the center. To that, add a generous amount of roast into the well. Add the corn generously around the outer edge of the pile. Drizzle some of the au jus over the entire top and add a large dollop of sour cream on top. A little crushed black pepper or some Franks Red Hot sauce and there you have it........

All-in-one bowl meal...........

Enjoy

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Some how I have a roast to myself. The wife isn't a huge roast fan to start with and the 3 year olds aren't fans either. So far I've made sandwiches and had it over noodles with a little ketchup.
I'm thinking Mexican next, either enchiladas, nachos or burritos.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Mississippi roast Stroganoff

Put 1-1.5lbs of shredded roast in a fry pan on med. heat
Add about 1/4 -1/3 cube of butter
Add 4 green onions chopped - or 1/2 med onion sliced
Add 1 small can 6-7oz. Of sliced mushrooms
After onions soften, add enough beef broth or Au jus (1/2c-3/4c.) to get the meat moist and simmering, stir well.
Add 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, stir in
Slowly add up to 1/2 pint of sour cream a little at a time until you get a nice sauce with the meat.
Add black pepper and salt to taste.

Heat through and serve over rice or hot buttered egg noodles.

Adults and even kids who don't like roast will like this. Three years old fight over it.

Adjust the above ingredients based on how much roast you use.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
More Leftover ideas - Use the following as filling/topping for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, or nachos

Warm 1.5 lbs of shredded or chopped roast over medium heat in frying pan and add:
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 cup beef broth or Au Jus
2 ounces spicy V8, or tomato juice or paste
Juice from 1 lime
1-2 cloves garlic minced/pressed
1/2 -3/4 tsp cumin
2-3 tsp chili powder
Some chopped canned jalapeños. I chop up 4-6 slices from a jar or 1 canned or pickled jalapeño
Simmer until heated through and add:
Salt and about 1/4 bunch chopped fresh cilantro to taste

· Banned
19,962 Posts
My wife used this recipe for some buffalo I had hiding in the back of the freezer. She added a can of cream of mushroom soup instead of stock. Oh my, what a difference!

P

· Banned
19,962 Posts
This was dinner last night and tonight.

Done but not shredded

P

41 - 60 of 100 Posts