IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned of this extremely easy recipe on the world wide inter-webs. Google it up and give it a try. I liked it a lot....think pot roast because I added taters and carrots with 2hrs to go in the 8 hr crockpot time. My wife thought it was "OK."

Definitely worth a try due to the simplicity alone. This meal would be super easy in a Dutch Oven in camp too. Just have to tend coals to make sure you are going low and slow.

Mark

· Registered
16,717 Posts
The roast was incredibly tender and flavorful. We pulled it like pork, per the recipe, and served it on a bed of mashed potatoes with fresh steamed green beans. My wife is usually not wild about beef, but this roast made her effusive.

:meme:

· Registered
5,647 Posts
I have to go into work 3 hours early tomorrow. I really don't want to be getting up at 2am to get everything ready. Would it hurt anything if I seared the meat tonight and got everything else ready and put it back in the fridge? This way I just have to drop everything in the crock pot on my way out the door.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,157 Posts
It's roasts like this that makes me realize that sometimes a simple dish, like a pot roast, that you have cooked for years can be considered new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Well I just got the thing shredded. Not too bad all things considered. Flavor was good but it was drier than I was hoping for. But I used about a 2.5 - 3lb deer roast with virtually no fat on it and it cooked for almost 13 hours. Definitely worth trying again on a day that I'm home to monitor the doneness.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,637 Posts
If you poke a lot of holes in the roast and brine it overnight in a strong (2tablespoons salt per quart of water) and beef broth Au jus or French onion soup mix solution it will be Lots better! Let that salt and broth permeate the meat overnight. Also, the holes will provide a place for the butter to melt down into the roast. I make the holes by stabbing and twisting a filet knife blade in the meat. You can shove little plugs of butter and garlic in there to get things started before cooking.

· Banned
19,962 Posts
Tag for elk sirloin

Might need to add a couple pieces of bacon since the meat is so lean.

P

1 - 20 of 100 Posts