IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On August 5 Fred Carnahan (Fish on Fred) failed to show up for work. He had been fishing the North Umpqua around Swiftwater Park. Apparently he was assaulted while fishing and 8 days later his truck had not moved. There has been a search going on for the last couple of days and the body of a fisherman in waiders was pulled from the river today. Fred was a class act and very good fisherman. I do not know if foul play is suspected or not at this time. This is a terrible loss. Fred was a wonderful person and very active in keeping the rivers clean and beautiful for us to enjoy. He will be missed. My heart goes out to his family.
Mike Anderson P2F

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
On August 5 Fred Calahan (Fish on Fred) failed to show up for work. He had been fishing the North Umpqua around Swiftwater Park. Apparently he was assaulted while fishing and 8 days later his truck had not moved. There has been a search going on for the last couple of days and the body of a fisherman in waiders was pulled from the river today. Fred was a class act and very good fisherman. I do not know if foul play is suspected or not at this time. This is a terrible loss. Fred was a wonderful person and very active in keeping the rivers clean and beautiful for us to enjoy. He will be missed. My heart goes out to his family.
Mike Anderson P2F

what a shame :pray:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,203 Posts
That is very sad. :(

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Sad news. My heart goes out to his family and friends as they grive for Fred and come to grips of not having him in their lives. Hopefully they will find peace in knowing he was out doing what he loved.

It is my hope that he hooked a monster fish, brought it to the bank, a fish of a lifetime, and while catching his breath and releasing the fish suffered a massive heart attack, died instantly and both he and the fish drifted down stream.

:flowered:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I was at Swiftwater Park that weekend. Please PM me.

Ben

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
This is terrible, no matter how it happened, but....could you explain "apparently he was assaulted while fishing"?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
One report locally said he had called his sister to tell her he was assaulted by two fishermen one of them punched him in the face. Another report had the same story only that he had called his mother.There is a link to the story on the KVAL news site.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Wow, sad news. He was frequently calling here to see how the fishing was "this is Fish On Fred..." he'd always start out.

Hope they figure out what happened.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That is so sad and I wish to give my condolences to his family and friends. I sure hope this was not a result from some kind of assault. I sincerely hope they are able determine the cause in its entirety for the sake of the family.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Wow!!! Cant even comment.Prayers to him and his loved ones.:pray:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
sad news. prayrs to the family. the schwindt family.:pray:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Im new to ifish and did not know Fred but it sounds like he was a great guy and had many freinds here. I sincerly hope they can find the people that assaulted him if this is what has happened. I do offer my deepest condolences to his family.

Jay

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,203 Posts
The article said there wasn't anything that pointed to foul play. Whether it was an accident or not is moot as the family still has to deal with this tragedy.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts