IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without any rain it might be a bit early. The closer to the cut off the better (at least the Kilchis)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was told by respectable sources that they are in the very lowest portions of the Miami in good numbers.

Just remember that these are all wild fish and please be gentle with them and as stated before, try to stay off of the redds. It is a catch and release fishery only and the season is done for after the 15 of november. Better access on the Miami than the Kilchis.
Also, if you pick up a chinook, consider releasing it. The run is not big by any means on the Miami and those are also wild fish...

Good luck and have fun.
Romeo

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks for the information guys, I'll pass it along to my friend. My friend is very aware of regulation and endangered fish protection practices, I'm sure he will not be harming or keeping any species, including chinook. FishaholicAZ - I know how you feel about entire native salmon populations - same thing on my favorite river, the Siletz. It hurst me every time I see someone keep a salmon way up river. They've made it this far...don't they deserve a chance?
Stew - thanks for the fly tip, I'll make sure he has a couple of these with him.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have a friend who would like to do a bit of fishing for Chums. He would like to know if either of these rivers have any decent amount of chum salmon in them right now. I remember reading a few posts about the Kilchis having a few scattered chum, but what about the Miami?
Also, he is a fly fisherman. Any fly suggestions I can give him?
Information is appreciated.
Thanks.

G

·
Originally posted by sparkleboy:
Also, he is a fly fisherman. Any fly suggestions I can give him?
Information is appreciated.
Thanks.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Something chartruese! I'm going down tomorrow to give it a try with my fly rod.
Be sure to not disturb fish on their spawning redds.

[ 11-05-2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah... I know what you mean. They are fun to catch but its more rewarding to see them swim away as well... Thats a dandy stream and I hope people give those fish a little respect. They deserve it.
Good luck to your friend and he should have a blast. I miss those days.

Fish on...
Romeo

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
sparkleboy: You want to fish no more than 1/2 mile up from the 101 bridge. In the first 200yds after it stops looking like a tidewater cow poop toilet and starts resembing a large creek. That used to be where the FlyWhippers played. The fish don't spawn there.

Its been at least 15years since I last played with Chum on the Miami, so I don't know the landowners. I used to cross the river by a green ranch-style house and then walk back down towards tidewater. The first house used to be occupied by the loudest, honeryist old woman I'd ever seen and there was no use even asking permission for access. The second house, (the green one) was a nice family.

I used to take my kids down there as it was real easy for them to catch (and release over their objections) a fish.

Ahhh the memories :smile:

G

·
Fished the Kilchis and Miami today,Water too low! Lots of dark spooky and fish.I hooked one fish but that was it. I would wait for some more water.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Stew : Well if I were you I would be back down very close to tidewater - the area I described previously. I just wish that I could give you more info on access permission - sorry. :blush:

·
Registered
37 Posts
We are going t go there tomorrow, maybe ome more fish will be in. Thanks guys for the above information!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts