IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fishing the Metolius river at Camp Sherman this weekend. Very excited. My grandfather and I used to fish this river all the time back when it was regularly stocked. I have not fished it in years. Any tips on where to fish would be much appreciated. I am open to private e-mails if you are leary about posting for the world to see.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I was down there a few weeks ago and it was pretty slow. I had the best luck with large streamers that kind of look like a small white fish. The problem is you have to get in on the bottom quick. Sinking tip line with split shot. I was not able to get any thing to rise to a dry. Move a lot and cover as much water as possible. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,264 Posts
A little warning... in areas open to fly angling only, no additional weights or attractants shall be added to the line, leader or hook. Meaning no split shot on the leader when fishing above bridge 99 on the Metolius.

I haven't been up to the Metolius in years. The method I used in the past was fishig two flies on a floating or sink tip line, depending on water dpeth. The lower fly was a weighted nymph, often a stove pipe (grey, black and green striped with single feather) or dark wet caddis pattern, a dropper is attached above the lower fly. The dropper I used was small, like size 14 to 20, can't remember the pattern. This setup usually got some hits in the first few cast, after that, the fish seemed to get educated real quick.

Anyway, have a nice weekend Big Tuna, hope you find some willing fish.

Gregg

·
Registered
135 Posts
ah don't forget it is strictly catch and relase, and it is not stocked anymore, managed for a yuppy :rolleyes: fishery

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Originally posted by wambam:
... yuppy :rolleyes: fishery
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That wasn't necessary. It's a great place and a great example of what C & R can be. If fly-fishing for beautiful native trout (& char) makes me a "yuppy" then yuppy I shall be ...

and me without an Orvis product to my name ... :tongue:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I haven't fished it for years either but I always liked going to the hatchery then walking upstream, of course tossing a dry fly in the Idiot Hole (its so deep only an idiot would fish with a dry fly). After I had walked farther than most were willing to go, I would fish little pockets of water near the shore. There were not as many fish but they were always bigger. Snapped a few flies off when what I thought was a large rock or stick at the bottom of a pool suddenly rose and snapped at my fly!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
FWI
ODFW documented decreased genetic disease resistance in wild Metolius trout in areas containing hatchery fish, which is why the stocking was discontinued. Since then (about 6 years), redd counts have quadrupled, the fishing is good again, and Camp Sherman is thriving. (Hey, it keeps those yuppies from fishing elsewhere!)
I prefer late summer/fall, fishing golden stones high and caddis low. I've not fished it in July.
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts