IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can’t control what other Indian reservations hunting rights do or how they harvest their animals. The Warm Springs Tribe doesn’t allow any spotlights or any non members to hunt on the Warm Springs Reservation whatsoever. That’s another can of worms when other Reservations allow this type of hunting. So don’t include all Natives hunting as spotlighters or poachers. Be respectful for the Good Natives because in ANY race or culture there WILL be bad examples everywhere anybody goes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree 100 % with you
But you gotta understand where I’m coming from??
I have a ton of respect for Native ways
I fully respect the whale hunting in the artic, substance hunting and fishing
Unfortunately a few bad examples can tarnish a whole lot of good
I hope you understand my post is in no way directed at you, as I have no idea who you are or your hunting ethics.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I see way way more natives that are very disrespectful than respectful... sorry... it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Just like one bad officer doing something horrible and everyone saying all are the same.. we all need to figure out how we can bring back a positive outcome to our heards of elk...deer.. everything. There is so much disregard for wildlife from alot of people not just natives.

Its hard to overlook it when you see all the young natives posting pictures of huge bucks, and bulls they shot in august in velvet.. or November and december, some shot on private property they had no premission to be on. But its there right because they are natives. Thats a majority of what we see, cus its being posted. Just like the media posting only the bad outcomes of traffic stops, when the thousands before were all positive ones. They need to be held accountable, as we are for doing stuff that is illegal, that in the end gets swept under the rug by the state/government becasue they are indeed natives.

I have no doubt you hunt correctly, and appreciate you doing so within the rights of your tribe, and treaty rights. Everyone else needs to also, including non natives. Not doing what they want because they have to, or need to fill a tag. Or need that instagram frame by shooting big animals illegally because they can, or dont think they can be caught.

We all need to change, or in 10 yrs the only poeple that will be hunting are the rich, and the outlaws cus we wont have enough game to hunt.

Just my 2 cents.. sorry for the rant.

Kasey

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Kaseyfield, I don't disagree that there are problems with all races of hunters in this state, but you are complaining about natives harvesting in August, November, and December? Have you taken a look at the regulations to see the number of hunts/tags odfw offers during those months?

Hunters are legally hunting elk from August 1st, even july in a couple of cases, through march of the next year. Lets clean up our own house before we go after others.

Scoutdog
Mike Morris

·
Registered
164 Posts
Don’t let another 160 go. My brother ate that tag a couple years ago. Best buck he saw in 21 days of hunting was under 160. The hunt should have been deleted years ago.
I don't agree with deleting the hunt. Everyone by now knows the hunt isn't a giant buck producer but it still is an opportunity to hunt rutted up mule deer that you don't really get to in Oregon. If you go into the hunt with the right expectations it is a great time. Why take that experience away from future hunters?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't agree with deleting the hunt. Everyone by now knows the hunt isn't a giant buck producer but it still is an opportunity to hunt rutted up mule deer that you don't really get to in Oregon. If you go into the hunt with the right expectations it is a great time. Why take that experience away from future hunters?
Maybe so there's a decent herd for more distant future hunters?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I feel like hunts like this one are an indicator for the state of the deer herd and especially the distribution of antler size in a larger geographical area. Meaning deer migrate across our "WMU" to an area for breeding. Which means that you can't just go to the breeding grounds in Nov and say I'm gonna hunt there because there's big bucks

If people are no longer seeing large older class bucks, in what should be a hunt in which you can see and shoot big bucks. Then I think ODFW should reevaluate the hunt.

We used to be able to see a handful of 180-190" bucks a day in the Fort Rock area during Nov. A >190" every once in a while. But now you are lucky to see a handful of 170" and even luckier to get a glimpse at a 180".

Maybe we should also just change our expectations... if you look at that 160" buck and recognize that's the mature class for the are... shoot it. No reason hoping for a 190" when there hasn't been one there since the 80's.

I tell my grandpa all the time, the reason I can't find a 180" running around on the desert is because they shot them all in the 70's and 80's. He's convinced they're still there... but then again, he's not the one putting 12 miles a day looking for a ghost

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
The other problem I see growing big bucks in a certain area is the predators it draws, both 2 legged and 4 legged. Lots of poaching going on and thrill killing. The res is also adjacent where subsistence deer become trophy class animals. The intent to feed your family shouldn't be a mature trophy class buck or bull in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have heard for years that Metolious late bow season is not the hunt it used to be. So, is there an archery hunt in Oregon that is better for big bucks? Say I have 23 deer points and want to use them on a controlled archery deer hunt in 2022. What is the best unit to apply for? Is it still Metolious, just temper your expectations, or is there a better hunt?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I’ve suggested creating new late season hunts elsewhere where the deer herds aren’t nears stressed as the metolius herd. But it falls on deaf ears. There are only 15 tags available now, if I recall correctly there used to be 50. It is being deleted slowly anyways. Why not offer 2-5 tags in several different units and spread out the pressure.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I have heard for years that Metolious late bow season is not the hunt it used to be. So, is there an archery hunt in Oregon that is better for big bucks? Say I have 23 deer points and want to use them on a controlled archery deer hunt in 2022. What is the best unit to apply for? Is it still Metolious, just temper your expectations, or is there a better hunt?
There really isn’t a better option offered. There are units just as good or better but no hunt offered. Its really a bad deal for all the guys who have decades of points saved up. I bailed on the late Metolius hunt in 2005 when I had 5 points. Back then it was taking 6-7 to draw and I didn’t feel it was worth waiting that long for then. It certainly isn’t worth waiting over twenty+ years for now. It’s really sad what has happened to the deer.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I looked at a project on WS a while back and we got a tour around different housing regions in December of last year. There were quite a few houses that had dozens of racks draped across their front deck with fresh fur on the horns (recent kills). Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the outcome of that process. I live in the unit and it's pretty sad even within the last 5 years. Yes I had one brute show up one day this year, but 5 years ago I had a dozen bucks constantly around. Right now there is a little forkie pushing does around my property and that's it.

tc

·
Registered
264 Posts
It does take a lot of deer to live on every year. That was probably just needed for the next week. But don't worry, that does not impact harvest for "non natives".

Certainly, that should not be taken into consideration when determining harvest stats and tag allocations for the following years...

However, my great grandfather's family lived on 1 deer a year

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Every year this always comes up. Have there been and is there current impacts on the deer herds in the Metolious. Yup. ALSO Elk are on the decline I noticed this year. One observation I have had in the past few years especially this year is there are more and more bears. During E. Cascade bull season I seen 2 elk (cows) and 3 bears . Are there still opportunities to see 10-20 mature bucks a day in the unit? Yes if you look in the right spot. Anywhere over by the access (candle creek) you are no doubt going to be frustrated with deer/elk densities it is much worse than it had been in the past decade. But there again learning where not to hunt is the first part of being successful.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Every year this always comes up. Have there been and is there current impacts on the deer herds in the Metolious. Yup. ALSO Elk are on the decline I noticed this year. One observation I have had in the past few years especially this year is there are more and more bears. During E. Cascade bull season I seen 2 elk (cows) and 3 bears . Are there still opportunities to see 10-20 mature bucks a day in the unit? Yes if you look in the right spot. Anywhere over by the access (candle creek) you are no doubt going to be frustrated with deer/elk densities it is much worse than it had been in the past decade. But there again learning where not to hunt is the first part of being successful.
I challenge you to go out sometime this weekend and take pictures of 10 mature bucks on public land in one day. I’ll bet you $100 you can’t do it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
This place where you can see 10-20 mature bucks in a day does not exist.

Maybe your talking about the henry mountains.

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
This place where you can see 10-20 mature bucks in a day does not exist.

Maybe your talking about the henry mountains.
Actually there's units in most states that manage their herds where you can find them during the rut..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: luvs2fish
21 - 40 of 88 Posts