IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well might as well start the year off right.
We got on the water around 10. Had a few fish on right off the bat. We had 6 fish by 11. All around 30 ft. Hooked one on the wire at 40 chasing schools. From 11 to 3 we caught 3 more. Then from 3 to 4 we hooked a pile more and was able to put 6 more in the boat. All between 25ft and 15 ft.

Wiggle hootchies were working in the morning but spinglows were putting fish in the boat.
Tuna corn.
Water temp was 45
Talked to plenty of boats with limits.
Talked to plenty of boats with 3 or 4.
Now let's have a killer 2023

· Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
3,181 Posts
We joined the fleet today. Got a late start (had to wait on a buddy, but he was bringing two kids, so we didn’t mind waiting)

Put the first fish in the boat, while still setting rods out, around 9:30. Landed five more within 45 minutes, then it slowed down. Scratched out a fish here and there. Lost probably a dozen and caught one pikeminnow.

Called it quits at 3:45 with 16 in the cooler.

Downrigger rods caught fish from 20’-40’. Back rod caught fish 125’-140’ back with one oz weight.

Couldn’t find any particular color/lure they wanted the most. Ran various Arrow or Brads dodgers with SNGs or hoochies. Hooks tipped with FireCorn and tuna or shrimp scent.

All in all, it was a good day on the lake. It was a bit chilly in the morning and chilly once the sun went behind the south slope, but didn’t ever feel the need to run the heater. Brought my portable propane bbq and grilled up some cheddar brats, which warmed up our crew’s tummies quite nicely.

My first mate (son) did an excellent job tending gear and assisting the younger kids.

· Registered
157 Posts
We joined the fleet today. Got a late start (had to wait on a buddy, but he was bringing two kids, so we didn’t mind waiting)

Put the first fish in the boat around 9:30. Landed five more within 45 minutes, then it slowed down. Scratched out a fish here and there. Lost probably a dozen and caught one pikeminnow.

Called it quits at 3:45 with 16 in the cooler.

Downrigger rods caught fish from 20’-40’. Back rod caught fish 125’-140’ back with one oz weight.

Couldn’t find any particular color/lure they wanted the most. Ran various Arrow or Brads dodgers with SNGs or hoochies. Hooks tipped with FireCorn and tuna or shrimp scent.

All in all, it was a good day on the lake.

I am jealous, good job Roady.

· Registered
941 Posts
Two of us got there before Roady, but not by much. Working on finding the bottom of a bottle new years was molasses in our blood.

Similar script - surface down to 30 (deepest). We used 120’ setback on the wire and 180’ on the long with 1/4 oz.

Images above do a good job of framing how nice the day was on that water. We saw action on a range of colors and types - sng, shrimp, hoochies. Shrimp with a little tuna scent was best for us at 1.3-1.4. Copper/brass Arrow or Brads dodgers were best, but good ‘ol Wonderbread did her job too.

It was probably around noon when we counted two limits of boats. Two hours after that we had that many kokes in the box. Landing rate was - maybe 60 - 70 ish %.

Really pretty good to see that many people have a chance at starting the year off with a top shelf Merwin experience.
Water Sky Cloud Lake Angling

· Registered
3,181 Posts
Two of us got there before Roady, but not by much. Working on finding the bottom of a bottle new years was molasses in our blood.

Similar script - surface down to 30 (deepest). We used 120’ setback on the wire and 180’ on the long with 1/4 oz.

Images above do a good job of framing how nice the day was on that water. We saw action on a range of colors and types - sng, shrimp, hoochies. Shrimp with a little tuna scent was best for us at 1.3-1.4. Copper/brass Arrow or Brads dodgers were best, but good ‘ol Wonderbread did her job too.

It was probably around noon when we counted two limits of boats. Two hours after that we had that many kokes in the box. Landing rate was - maybe 60 - 70 ish %.

Really pretty good to see that many people have a chance at starting the year off with a top shelf Merwin experience. View attachment 998484
I didn’t even think to look for your boat. I would have said “hi” and checked out the new boat setup had I thought about it. My guests were new to Kokanee fishing, so my attention was focused on keeping them entertained.

· Registered
941 Posts
I didn’t even think to look for your boat. I would have said “hi” and checked out the new boat setup had I thought about it. My guests were new to Kokanee fishing, so my attention was focused on keeping them entertained.
Same thing here - good to say hello and talk tips n tricks in person but I didn’t think of it til I saw your post and it occurred to me that we likely made a pass or two and I didn’t make the connection.

· Registered
3,181 Posts
I’m always willing to talk with other Ifish folks. Still trying to memorize many of the regulars’ boats. Easiest way to spot me/us is that I ALWAYS fly my flag.

I did talk to another Ifisher on the lake yesterday. (my kokanee and Columbia mentor). He is one of those guys who has Merwin dialed-in and more often than not, catches his limit by 10:30 or so.

He had seven fish in his cooler by 10:30 , but was calling it quits at that time. He got a piece of woody debris wedged between his prop and prop saver on his kicker, and couldn’t dislodge it while on the water.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Hit the water bright and early around 9:30am today…. Missed a few right off the bat, then fought the wind for only a couple in the cooler and more misses. Basically put the drift socks out and let the wind troll for us. Trying to go into the wind with our top was nearly impossible unless we used the main. Ended the day around 2

· Registered
3,181 Posts
Hit the water bright and early around 9:30am today…. Missed a few right off the bat, then fought the wind for only a couple in the cooler and more misses. Basically put the drift socks out and let the wind troll for us. Trying to go into the wind with our top was nearly impossible unless we used the main. Ended the day around 2
Yeah, today looked like it was going to be a windy one up there. Glad you at least found a few.

· Registered
7,054 Posts
I’m always willing to talk with other Ifish folks. Still trying to memorize many of the regulars’ boats. Easiest way to spot me/us is that I ALWAYS fly my flag.

I did talk to another Ifisher on the lake yesterday. (my kokanne and Columbia mentor). He is one of those guys who has Merwin dialed-in and more often than not, catches his limit by 10:30 or so.

He had seven fish in his cooler by 10:30 , but was calling it quits at that time. He got a piece of woody debris wedged between his prop and prop saver on his kicker, and couldn’t dislodge it while on the water.
Hey, that's MY picture!

Reactions: Roady

· Registered
6 Posts
Was out Sunday 1/1 on my kayak with another kayak fishing buddy and was slow to start out. Normally I'll get at least 1 or 2 to start out heading right out of Speelyai right on top, but no action. We trolled around until we found a few schools across from Speelyai towards the other side of the lake then had quite a bit of action. I ended up getting my first limit out of the kayak around 11:45 all on pink/orange microhoochies all with either 2 or 3 oz at 90 - 120 feet back.

· Registered
Kokanee, Coho, and Chinook Fisherman
11 Posts
I have always wanted to fish Merwin as I have a few buddies up in Washington that I want to take kokanee fishing (they have never been). I was curious what time of year is ideal to fish there. Currently my boat is winterized as my local lake is not ideal for fishing right now. I was planning on heading up there around the March, April, and May. Ive never fished there so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have everything I need in terms of fishing for kokanee. Just curious as to what areas are popular. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3,181 Posts
I have always wanted to fish Merwin as I have a few buddies up in Washington that I want to take kokanee fishing (they have never been). I was curious what time of year is ideal to fish there. Currently my boat is winterized as my local lake is not ideal for fishing right now. I was planning on heading up there around the March, April, and May. Ive never fished there so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have everything I need in terms of fishing for kokanee. Just curious as to what areas are popular. Thanks in advance.
Those can be very good months. Make sure to check a weather app (I use Windy) before ya go. The wind and weather can get nasty up there. Here is a map to give you some ideas where to fish.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this morning was slow. 5 bites 2 in the boat. One on a long line at 100 ft back. 1 on a long line with 1 oz at 100 ft. 3 on the down riggers at 25 ft. Didn't mark any schools on the sonar. Didn't mark any schools on the side imaging. Left the lake around 10.

· Registered
576 Posts
Well this morning was slow. 5 bites 2 in the boat. One on a long line at 100 ft back. 1 on a long line with 1 oz at 100 ft. 3 on the down riggers at 25 ft. Didn't mark any schools on the sonar. Didn't mark any schools on the side imaging. Left the lake around 10.
Was that the furthest back you fished? If they were mostly on the surface you might have been too close to the boat.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was that the furthest back you fished? If they were mostly on the surface you might have been too close to the boat.
I put 2 rods at 125 back with no weight and hooked 2 on the downrigger at 25 ft. So I started targeting 20 ft. And added a 1oz and 2 oz on my long line rods. I guess I'll start leaving the down riggers at home from now on.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Ok I am seeing set back setback setback!
Ohh sorry how rude
my name is Doug.. and I am a fisherman..I have not wet a line in 2 months
Ok back to the real
is setback a koke thing or a Merwin thing
I am new to kokes... had to add another one to.my list of not catching
so even deep with the down rigger your doing 100+ feet of setback?
wow

· Registered
576 Posts
Ok I am seeing set back setback setback!
Ohh sorry how rude
my name is Doug.. and I am a fisherman..I have not wet a line in 2 months
Ok back to the real
is setback a koke thing or a Merwin thing
I am new to kokes... had to add another one to.my list of not catching
so even deep with the down rigger your doing 100+ feet of setback?
wow
I run 150-175’ on everything and only troll with an electric motor. I like having my gear in a school whether it’s 5’ deep or 30’. The deal is most fish this time of year are by the surface and your boat and motor can scare them. Which is another reason why turning help get bites. It pulls your lure through water your boat didn’t just troll through. Though some days they are a little deeper and I don’t think set back matters then. Even then I’m only marking a couple fish under the boat at any one time.

anyone been out? Thinking about going Friday if the wind forecast holds decent.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts