IFish Fishing Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
20lb maxima is even better. Kokanee are not impressed by expensive leaders
Only issue can be that maxima is thicker and sometimes doesn't fit in the eye of the hook on certain brands.

Reactions: FishOn81

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,804 Posts
Only issue can be that maxima is thicker and sometimes doesn't fit in the eye of the hook on certain brands.
Yep. Had that problem with Maxima Chameleon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Fished from 6:45am - 11am on Saturday and NOTHING. Went all over the lake, had 3 rods with different gear setups, 3 different depths, 3 different lengths behind the boat, 2 different baits and not even a sniff. Lots of boats out and I didn't see anyone hook up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
WDFW is investigating the huge die off of kokanee at Yale. Until the cause is identified, probably best to not eat any kokanee from Yale.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
WDFW is investigating the huge die off of kokanee at Yale. Until the cause is identified, probably best to not eat any kokanee from Yale.
I’m glad they are investigating it. Any word on how bad it is/was?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Haven’t been following along to know if the hatchery was doing the special needs kids day this year but seeing all these big trout my guess is they released those fish early and it’s not happening. All the big trout pics and the only thing we could catch were these pesky Kokanee. WTH?? 😂 View attachment 954001

Please share your secret. i tried everything I've learned how to fish at Mervin on previous years threads and so far i have not gotten a single fish this year at Mervin.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Please share your secret. i tried everything I've learned how to fish at Mervin on previous years threads and so far i have not gotten a single fish this year at Mervin.
Mudinchev has shared many of his secrets. If you go back in the archives from past years, there are many many posts where he has shared valuable tips. Grab a beverage and some time.....

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Does anyone run cold water bumpers in front of there dodgers there or is that more of a salmon set up
I don’t run Cold Waters, but I do run 24” bumpers of various kinds. I’ve recently been making my own with coated wire, but you can also just use a length of heavier mono.

If in doubt, use these in front of an Arrow Flash dodger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone run cold water bumpers in front of there dodgers there or is that more of a salmon set up
I don't run big cold water bumpers but I do run a 18-24" 15-20lb mono "bumper" before my flasher to help give a bit more stretch. Since I started doing that I feel like I lose less fish when pulling them in compared to running right off my braid mainline.

·
Registered
159 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Run a 24" to 36" spacer ahead of the dodger if you're using any lead weight.
Theze days
most clip their lead onto a slider of some sort. They say if the weight is fixed to your line that a kokanee at times will use that as leverage, it is amazing how these Merwin kokanee manage to spin and spit hooks! Always gotta keep tension, once they're hooked.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don’t run Cold Waters, but I do run 24” bumpers of various kinds. I’ve recently been making my own with coated wire, but you can also just use a length of heavier mono.

are these a online order or are they in stores ?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

Those are what we use with lead sliders.

You run your line out, twist that on and let it go. Keeps people from dropping it to fast and folding it up.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
are these a online order or are they in stores ?
Fisherman’s should carry them. Or Bob’s in Longview.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Those are what we use with lead sliders.

You run your line out, twist that on and let it go. Keeps people from dropping it to fast and folding it up.

Well that’s just smert!!

Probably slides smoother than clipping on a swivel.

Reactions: lilugly

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
se
Well that’s just smert!!

Probably slides smoother than clipping on a swivel.

Chris,
Duolocks slide pretty darn easy, it's what I use when I'm not running the downriggers.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Caught two pike minnow today.

Hooked a nice kokanee.

A Tiger Muskie ate it.

I kid you not.

Just before I saw the kokanee at the boat the fish ran hard. I thought the boat scared it. Then it got heavier. I got it to where I could see it and here's a 40" Muskie with my kokanee in its jaws and my dodger flapping around his head.

A couple turns later and he broke me off.

Only other time that's happened in my life was when I was a kid in Minnesota and had a Muskie or Pike cut a bass in half for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Caught two pike minnow today.

Hooked a nice kokanee.

A Tiger Muskie ate it.

I kid you not.

Just before I saw the kokanee at the boat the fish ran hard. I thought the boat scared it. Then it got heavier. I got it to where I could see it and here's a 40" Muskie with my kokanee in its jaws and my dodger flapping around his head.

A couple turns later and he broke me off.

Only other time that's happened in my life was when I was a kid in Minnesota and had a Muskie or Pike cut a bass in half for me.

I pulled out of the Hideaway around 10:30 and saw a 27" tiger Muskie cruising at the launch . Launched at 5:30 pike minnows on top. Dropped down to 40 late morning caught a skinny 12" koke late morning. Lost another same same . Orange hoochie 14" leader. The batteries are charging for the next adventure!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My buddy got video of the muskie. He isolated this shot.

You can see my dodger, the blade of the wedding ring, and a kokanee headfirst in the mouth of a muskie.

221 - 240 of 252 Posts