IFish Fishing Forum banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Fished Merwin yesterday, out in front of campers hideaway. Launched at the cracked of noon thirty, fished till about 3pm then called it, ran around and cleaned fish. We ended up 4/8. Ran lines 160' back and a few 10'down on the riggers. Various arrow flashes and flies. Gulp maggots in pink. This was not a "serious" trip as much as trying to get the boy on his first trip. He did reel one in with mommas help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
so never mind the fish finder marking fish at 50+ ft ?
Most likely pike minnow. You may catch a kokanee T that depth but doubtful this early. I talked to a couple guys who chased marks at 30 ft and promptly hooked up on pike minnow the other day.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,803 Posts
Fished Merwin yesterday, out in front of campers hideaway. Launched at the cracked of noon thirty, fished till about 3pm then called it, ran around and cleaned fish. We ended up 4/8. Ran lines 160' back and a few 10'down on the riggers. Various arrow flashes and flies. Gulp maggots in pink. This was not a "serious" trip as much as trying to get the boy on his first trip. He did reel one in with mommas help.

Great pics! If he grows up to be anything like my son, he will INSIST that his was the biggest fish and daddy caught the small one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Friday, Merwin at first light, 170 ft back, d.r. about 9 ft, i hooked up with an 18 incher rainbow AND he fought the entire retrieve of 170 feet! ! !
Then nada until 8:30 and then at 10 a.m. Those 2 were pan sized rainbow.

Wa State Fish n Wildlife must have released a whole truck load of rainbows a week ago or so.

No other strikes, drive byes, nope.
Where have all the kokanee gone?!?

Water surface temp about 53 f.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Haven’t been following along to know if the hatchery was doing the special needs kids day this year but seeing all these big trout my guess is they released those fish early and it’s not happening. All the big trout pics and the only thing we could catch were these pesky Kokanee. WTH?? 😂

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Fished 830 to 12. Couldn't make it happen. Had one aggressive drive by that didn't stick.

Other boats were catching doing seemingly the same thing.

I was running a pink hoochie tipped with fire corn, 18 inches behind a dodger, 150 feet out the back without weight.

Changed dodgers.
Changed hoochies.
Changed rods.

Could make anything happen.

What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Fished 830 to 12. Couldn't make it happen. Had one aggressive drive by that didn't stick.

I was running a pink hoochie tipped with fire corn, 18 inches behind a dodger, 150 feet out the back without weight.

Changed dodgers.
Changed hoochies.
Changed rods.

What am I doing wrong?

Make the leader no more than 8 inches and go farther back. What dodgers?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Haven’t been following along to know if the hatchery was doing the special needs kids day this year but seeing all these big trout my guess is they released those fish early and it’s not happening. All the big trout pics and the only thing we could catch were these pesky Kokanee. WTH?? View attachment 954001
Very nice. Seems like you’ve got things dialed in.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Changed dodgers.
Changed hoochies.
Changed rods.

What am I doing wrong?

Leader is WAAAAY too long for a hoochie. 6-8” no matter what kind of dodger is in front of it.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Hey thanks! I was trolling 1 to 1.2 with these dodgers:

Try and pick up a few Arrowflash dodgers, Deadly Venom has some good ones and you can find a smattering at local sports stores. Skateboard type like Seps, Vances or Dick Nites are good also.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

Changed dodgers.
Changed hoochies.
Changed rods.

What am I doing wrong?

Cut 10" off your leader.

Try a spinner blade in front of that hootchie.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Had a good bite from 5:30 -7:00 long lining around Speelayai 180' using 3/8 oz lead (even had a double) (8" distance flasher to hoochie). Then nada, so started trolling West around 9 caught the last Koke right before Woodland park. Quit around 9:45. Plenty of fish to take home (The full moon didn't curse me)

Merwin 4-27-21.jpg

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'm a horrible Kokanee fisherman apparently, but these at least help to keep your chin up. Tasty too! 4lbs 1oz on the scale.

View attachment 954394
Nice fish and great picture! They actually do taste pretty good. Merwin and Roosevelt are pretty much the only lakes I keep trout from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats a beauty. Merwin kicked my butt again yesterday. Fished from 6;30 till 10;30, 2 bites. caught an 8" kokanee and an 8" trout. Saw nobody catch anything near me.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Several trailers at Speelyai. Not sure where all the boats were. We fished from the ramp up to the park and back.

Running pink hoothchies with corn (8 inches - thank you) behind dodgers. Flat lined 150 to 180.

Figured out I was going too fast when I was turning and the inside rod gets hit.

Dropped throttle down to idling in gear.

Was talking with another boat when my rod got slammed. At first I thought I had one of the big trout but as it got closer I saw it was a big, fat, kokanee. It peeled line off my reel. Never had a kokanee do that.

I got it close enlightening to reach for the meet and bam.... it jumped, and broke me off.

It actually broke me off on 6 lb leader.

But I learned something. I tied my leaders with florocarbon. Originally I tied them too long. When I shortened them, I tied a simple overhand loop to connect to the snap on the dodger.

What I didn't do was wetten the knot before synching down.

I'd always heard that knots in floro will get weak it you burn the line.

This fish broke me off, right at the knot, leaving me the overhand loop and tag end.

Lesson learned.

Oh, 0 for 1.

Pretty slow from those i talked with as well.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Several trailers at Speelyai. Not sure where all the boats were. We fished from the ramp up to the park and back.

Running pink hoothchies with corn (8 inches - thank you) behind dodgers. Flat lined 150 to 180.

Figured out I was going too fast when I was turning and the inside rod gets hit.

Dropped throttle down to idling in gear.

Was talking with another boat when my rod got slammed. At first I thought I had one of the big trout but as it got closer I saw it was a big, fat, kokanee. It peeled line off my reel. Never had a kokanee do that.

I got it close enlightening to reach for the meet and bam.... it jumped, and broke me off.

It actually broke me off on 6 lb leader.

But I learned something. I tied my leaders with florocarbon. Originally I tied them too long. When I shortened them, I tied a simple overhand loop to connect to the snap on the dodger.

What I didn't do was wetten the knot before synching down.

I'd always heard that knots in floro will get weak it you burn the line.

This fish broke me off, right at the knot, leaving me the overhand loop and tag end.

Lesson learned.

Oh, 0 for 1.

Pretty slow from those i talked with as well.

I use 12 to 15 lb PLine Tactical Floro. Doesn't break as kokanee will twist the crap out of it. Plus, the stronger line is stiffer and transfers more action from the dodger to lure/bait.

Reactions: Tobenamedlater
201 - 220 of 252 Posts