IFish Fishing Forum banner

181 - 200 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Haven’t posted much on Ifish in a while but then again we haven’t been fishing Merwin as much as we used to. Today was only the 3rd trip since last November. Did a double header this weekend! Who can resist getting a Sunburn APRIL right? Took a bit to get them figured out, that greasy flat water may be beautiful but it makes for tough conditions when the fish are all on top. 150 foot setbacks were the norm, and nothing running deeper than 10 feet. (Yes I use my down riggers and set them only 5 feet deep. ) Saturday we had passed a boat that was crawling along at less than 1mph, a short while later they had decided speed up to keep pace with us and appeared to be watching from a distance. I could tell it was a dad and 2 kids and dad was literally re setting new gear every 10 minutes trying to figure things out. I could tell by his line angles he was going DEEP and or fishing right under his boat. We have been in that same situation watching someone wack fish and can’t figure it out. This guy was legit, he wasn’t just sitting there not catching and not trying to figure out why. I can’t stand to see kids not catching fish, we swung in close enough to chat , he hadn’t touched a fish, told him to put all the lead away and just run all 4 rods on the surface push everything 100 feet or more back behind it he boat. Within 10 minutes he boated a fish and and had number two in the box not long after that. Moral of the story here, you can have the best gear, best bait etc, if the ACTIVE fish can’t see your gear and you are not putting it in front of them, you won’t get bit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Haven’t posted much on Ifish in a while but then again we haven’t been fishing Merwin as much as we used to. Today was only the 3rd trip since last November. Did a double header this weekend! Who can resist getting a Sunburn APRIL right? Took a bit to get them figured out, that greasy flat water may be beautiful but it makes for tough conditions when the fish are all on top. 150 foot setbacks were the norm, and nothing running deeper than 10 feet. (Yes I use my down riggers and set them only 5 feet deep. ) Saturday we had passed a boat that was crawling along at less than 1mph, a short while later they had decided speed up to keep pace with us and appeared to be watching from a distance. I could tell it was a dad and 2 kids and dad was literally re setting new gear every 10 minutes trying to figure things out. I could tell by his line angles he was going DEEP and or fishing right under his boat. We have been in that same situation watching someone wack fish and can’t figure it out. This guy was legit, he wasn’t just sitting there not catching and not trying to figure out why. I can’t stand to see kids not catching fish, we swung in close enough to chat , he hadn’t touched a fish, told him to put all the lead away and just run all 4 rods on the surface push everything 100 feet or more back behind it he boat. Within 10 minutes he boated a fish and and had number two in the box not long after that. Moral of the story here, you can have the best gear, best bait etc, if the ACTIVE fish can’t see your gear and you are not putting it in front of them, you won’t get bit.
View attachment 953669 View attachment 953671
Wow! Just wow! Awesome day! It tells me that i definitely have some learning to do! :ROFLMAO: We were out there today for our first trip ever at Merwin, and also our first time fishing kokanee. We got a little bit of a late start on the water at approx 830, also running no weight and back 150 to 175' at 1.1-1.3 mph and struggled to go 1 for 5. (shrug) All bites for us came on the same pink hoochie/arrow dodger setup. I'm not sure what piece of the puzzle we were missing, but still a great day on the water. and what a beautiful lake!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Wow! Just wow! Awesome day! It tells me that i definitely have some learning to do! :ROFLMAO: We were out there today for our first trip ever at Merwin, and also our first time fishing kokanee. We got a little bit of a late start on the water at approx 830, also running no weight and back 150 to 175' at 1.1-1.3 mph and struggled to go 1 for 5. (shrug) All bites for us came on the same pink hoochie/arrow dodger setup. I'm not sure what piece of the puzzle we were missing, but still a great day on the water. and what a beautiful lake!
Arrow Flash dodgers are my go too for the most part, micro hoochies were what they were keying in on, Paulina Peak blood red, and Wickiup sunrise were consistent as well as plain old pink. I run 8” leaders between the hoochie and dodgers. Spinners and spin glows usually work well too but not so much this weekend for us.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,803 Posts
At first, your post made me feel bad that we didn’t catch nearly that many yesterday...

But, then I realized it probably took me WAAAAAY less time to clean our fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Catfish

·
Registered
104 Posts
Arrow Flash dodgers are my go too for the most part, micro hoochies were what they were keying in on, Paulina Peak blood red, and Wickiup sunrise were consistent as well as plain old pink. I run 8” leaders between the hoochie and dodgers. Spinners and spin glows usually work well too but not so much this weekend for us.
Thank you for the tips. Sounds like I was on the right track, just maybe not hitting the right areas as well being that it was first time there. I also tried spin glows for a bit with no love. What size do you like? My hook to land ratio was abysmal as well, so i definitely need to figure that out!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Muddy Chevy, it's great to see you again here AND numerous thanks for the kokanee at Merwin info you share.
I'm curious, did you begin trolling right at dawn? Thanks again, Paul
In

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Muddy Chevy, it's great to see you again here AND numerous thanks for the kokanee at Merwin info you share.
I'm curious, did you begin trolling right at dawn? Thanks again, Paul
In
Both days fished from 7 till 1. Probably would have finished a lot earlier Sunday had we started at daylight, 7-8 the bite was crazy we couldn’t keep all the gear in the water, if it was that good from daylight till 7 we wouldn’t have had to spend from 9:30 to 1 scratching out the last 6 fish. Starting around 10 am we usually seem to see a slow down for a couple hours. We call it the 10 o’clock lul...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Reactions: Catfish

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
My son and I had a horrible time Kokanee fishing today. On the other hand, we had an AWESOME day catching big trout!

·
Registered
104 Posts
My son and I had a horrible time Kokanee fishing today. On the other hand, we had an AWESOME day catching big trout!

Nice mess of trout! Were you targeting trout or getting them while targeting kokes?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Nice mess of trout! Were you targeting trout or getting them while targeting kokes?
We were targeting kokes.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I apologize, I was pretty tired when we got home yesterday, so I didn’t feel like writing a lot.

We launched around 7am and started trolling just outside of the no wake buoys. We deployed three rods, two of which were on the downriggers set at 5’ depth. The back rod had no weight and all three rods were set back 150’. All three rods had an Arrow Dodger and either micro hootchie or glow SNG. We kept our speed in the 1.2-1.3mph range. (Once we started catching trout, my son did catch one on a jointed brown trout Rapala.)

We had a couple of missed strikes fairly soon after we started trolling. Around 7:15, my son’s rod pops off the downrigger clip and the rod buries. The fish came out of the water a few times and once netted, I figured we just got lucky and caught a nice trout. There have been other times we have caught a nice trout while Kokanee fishing, but never more than one.

We stuck with the same tactics and put 9 fish in the boat. (At five, I had to transfer the fish into the kill bag, because my cooler that I use for Kokanee was running out of room.) We caught two or three small trout, around 8” and lost a couple bigger trout. Had a few “Kokanee type strikes” and lost two fish that I think were kokes.

My son had to be home to finish some schoolwork, so we quit around 1:45, otherwise we probably would have chased number 10 and tried to find some Kokanee. We were pretty happy to head home with around 20lbs of trout, though.

The weather was great and the wind stayed pretty light.

Reactions: lilugly

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
so what i gather is ive been fishing too deep and too close to the boat. 200ft and no weight. 1.3mph ish and use dodgers.
Depends on the weather. If it's overcast and mild wind chop, I'll start one rod at 125' just to see if that is working. This time of year they're within the top ten feet so no weight is right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I apologize, I was pretty tired when we got home yesterday, so I didn’t feel like writing a lot.

We launched around 7am and started trolling just outside of the no wake buoys. We deployed three rods, two of which were on the downriggers set at 5’ depth. The back rod had no weight and all three rods were set back 150’. All three rods had an Arrow Dodger and either micro hootchie or glow SNG. We kept our speed in the 1.2-1.3mph range. (Once we started catching trout, my son did catch one on a jointed brown trout Rapala.)

We had a couple of missed strikes fairly soon after we started trolling. Around 7:15, my son’s rod pops off the downrigger clip and the rod buries. The fish came out of the water a few times and once netted, I figured we just got lucky and caught a nice trout. There have been other times we have caught a nice trout while Kokanee fishing, but never more than one.

We stuck with the same tactics and put 9 fish in the boat. (At five, I had to transfer the fish into the kill bag, because my cooler that I use for Kokanee was running out of room.) We caught two or three small trout, around 8” and lost a couple bigger trout. Had a few “Kokanee type strikes” and lost two fish that I think were kokes.

My son had to be home to finish some schoolwork, so we quit around 1:45, otherwise we probably would have chased number 10 and tried to find some Kokanee. We were pretty happy to head home with around 20lbs of trout, though.

The weather was great and the wind stayed pretty light.

No apology necessary. Great write up of a real nice day!

181 - 200 of 252 Posts