IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kicking off the new year, albeit sans a report. We were going to fish this morning but opted to run the dogs on some logging roads before the rains kicked in. Here’s to big, fat, and agreesive Kokanee in 2021! See you all on the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice. Let the reports begin. Merwin and Yale are going to be my main focus this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
I’d add elements of the “Black Recipe” for Dec Koke success at Merwin that I gleaned from the Youtube video:

1.2 mph

Surface and 200’ back.

Tuna corn

Small spin n glo.

We cheated a little and used mostly arrow dodgers. We had Brads out too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A fellow Ifish member and I hit Merwin today. The gate didn’t open until after 8 and it was tough fishing overall. We fished from 830ish to 1 ending up with 6 keepers and 2 very small Kokanee that we released. Downrigger fish were caught at 11-13 feet. The hot rod was flatlined with 130ish feet of line out. The set ups described above both worked. Tight lines and happy fishing in 2021!

·
Registered
732 Posts
A fellow Ifish member and I hit Merwin today. The gate didn’t open until after 8 and it was tough fishing overall. We fished from 830ish to 1 ending up with 6 keepers and 2 very small Kokanee that we released. Downrigger fish were caught at 11-13 feet. The hot rod was flatlined with 130ish feet of line out. The set ups described above both worked. Tight lines and happy fishing in 2021!

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Great link. I was there Monday and watched a boat go down and had to rescue 2 kids and 3 adults. Not sure it was all wind, but it certainly helped.

Dang. That sucks. Glad you were there to help. What size was the boat that went down?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I’m still fairly new to Kokanee fishing. Went out on Sunday and caught 4. All came very early in the morning, but fish were surfacing everywhere all day just couldn’t get a bite. Any tips to get the later bite would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I’m still fairly new to Kokanee fishing. Went out on Sunday and caught 4. All came very early in the morning, but fish were surfacing everywhere all day just couldn’t get a bite. Any tips to get the later bite would be appreciated

This might be time to let the offering out a little farther from the boat. 150 to 200 ft can work wonders at times.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Does that drop the depth too far?
This time of year I'm fishing surface with no weight. Farther back doesn't necessarily mean deeper when using this strategy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok, good to know. Headed out next Saturday and will increase length as the day goes on to try and find the right strategy to get a strike.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Also remember when its cold you may need to reduce speed closer to 1 mph and smaller, less aggressive lure patterns. Think micro instead of mini for instance. Try using a maggot on trail hook rather than corn.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dang. That sucks. Glad you were there to help. What size was the boat that went down?

It was probably around an 18 foot fiberglass boat (with apparently no foam). They got it close to shore, and the nose was still above water about halfway between Speelylai and the Woodland Park on the north bank. It was crazy how quick it all happened. One minute they were all smiles, as they went past us, then we could tell something was wrong and they were bailing water. By the time we got the downriggers up and rods in the boat, they were swimming to shore.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the post about the boat problem. Lots to learn from an experience like that...on a lake.

I was on Merwin early this year with heavy wind and chop in a 15’ Alaskan. Wind and chop came up quick. I put the boat back on the trailer. But it was pretty rough getting there.

How quick something can go south is food for thought.

Great you were there and that it ended up as good as it did.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts