IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call Mark Hannifan. 653-7770. He works from his house, is very good and less than a shop's hourly rate. Very good guy, trustworthy too. I've used him a few times and will always recommend him. Tell him Brad sent ya.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The boat works,,, on the willamette in Wilsonville. I did good work and was fast with it. He is open 7 days a week in the summer months. I was pleased.
They are in the book

K9

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
K9Jeff beat me to it. I really like the way I was treated and the prices at the Boat works. They do good work and their fast.

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
It would help to know what size the motor is to judge what would be a good price. Also, if it's still under warrantee, you'll want to take it to a Mercury authorized dealer.

·
Registered
344 Posts
oil and plugs do yourself, unless you have something major wrong or it was running bad then i would take it in....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have the same motor, do it yourself unless you have a problem. Get the plugs at Napa, gap them, changing the gear oil is a breeze. Check the fuel filter, grease the fittings, remove the prop and grease and do a look around at everything and log the date and parts on the inside of the cowl and kiss her goodnight. Howler if you need help

[ 05-07-2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Perfect Drift ]

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
If the motor's a 2-stroke, $175 sounds like some serious gouging. But then again, I've never seen a boat dealer that didn't gouge.
I worked in the automotive service trade for many years. If a guy gets charged $175 for a tune-up on his V8 pickup, he'll scream like he got stuck with a hat pin.
Charge him $175 for his 3 (or 4) cylinder outboard and he won't even blink. :hoboy:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It's time for me to take my motor in for a tune up. Nothing is wrong with it, just need a general PM type of thing, new plugs, oil, etc. Anybody know of a good mechanic that is reasonable? I talked to Steven's which is where I bought it and they want $175...is that good or bad? It's my first time taking the motor in(it's a 2002) so I'm not sure about prices and what to expect them to do. I do know Steven's has got some bad press from this site that I have seen. That's why I'm asking around. Thank's for any input. Take care.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How often do you do-it-yourself'ers change your water pump impeller? You don't want it failing while you're on the water. I've done it myself on small outboards, but never on my 125 Merc. I don't know if I want to get into it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts