IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I get so much crap for owning a Merc. It's the best motor I've ever owned. It always started. Never let me down, I love it, sometimes I start it in the driveway, just to run it. Why do they have a bad rap. Maybe, I just hang with the wrong fishermen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I'm not sure why you think they have a bad rap. Most reliable two-stroke for the money. You want a bad rap and catch some flak go buy a Force :hoboy:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think they have a bad rap, I love it. I think other people have bad experiences with em or somthing :shrug:

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I have had both my merc,s 3 years had just 3 small problems, one a loose screw, one from arco gas/alchol fuel and the other was a dealer rigging error. I will consider merc. for my next boat.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Merc's. Who's telling you they are no good? I've had 3. All great.

If it's on my boat, the motor will always be black.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just traded two of my old Merc's I have had for twenty yrs. with no problems. They were always reliable. Looking forward to many more yrs. of fishing Mercs. :smile: (also got a good trade in value) :smile: :smile:

On my bigger boat a have a Merc 150. The only trouble I have had with it is the oil backflow alowing the oil to drain into the fuel line of the motor is tilted for a time, i.e. storage.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Merc!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The only people that have given me any crap about my Mercs were Yamaha guys. Yamaha makes a good motor, true enough. I'll stick with the Merc though. My Black Max has never failed me, ever! The 8 hp kicker starts on the first pull.

I think it's something like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. People are just yanking your chain.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Black in back for me. Always. I bought mine new in '87, and it has always gotten me home without fail. And I don't baby it. If anything, I thrash it mercilessly.
The Energizer Bunny of outboards. :cool:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
With a '60 and a '66 hanging on my boat, and a '58 in pieces in the garage ... you'll get no **** from me.

Thunderbolt!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Chinookster,

I think it has to do with a few years ago and mostly saltwater related. I had a Merc. 90 on my Whaler for bay and ocean fishing...great motor that never let me down...but the rep among fishing people was the guys with the hood off were all Merc folks.

BUT....

Out fishing yesterday. We were in one boat vs. another because the starter had gone for the 2nd time on buddy's 1 year old 250HP Merc. Guy next to us runs aground after releasing a fish because his 200HP Merc wouldn't start...says it happens all the time. Neighbor's 200HP Merc Optimax hauled off to Stevens after a history of problems, latest dying and boat getting pinned by strong current against marina dock...neighbor demanding replacement engine under Lemon Law since the engine was never right.

Scary because Merc is the last US mfg of outboards and you'd like to see them survive.

Brion

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Friends don't let Friends run Forces!! :laugh:

I've got a 1974 50hp pull start Merc with a pump on it. Been saying for years I got my money out of it and will buy a new boat when it finally stops running. Darn I'd like a new boat :depressed:

Energizer Merc's......They just keep running and.............

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Yeah...Never say you'll do something "positive" when your Merc dies.

2 years ago, I earned a 4 stroke kicker completing my "Honey-Do's", but told the CFO I'd wait til the million hours on my Merc 15 takes it's toll. I'm working on the second million hours now, and it still runs like a champ. Rest assured...it will be replaced with another Merc....that is...if it EVER dies.

As with all "machines"..if you don't take care of them and perform periodic maintenance...you'll risk failure sooner or later.

Mark

·
Registered
216 Posts
Merc's rule the water :cheers: well thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Originally posted by Salmonator:
You want a bad rap and catch some flak go buy a Force :hoboy:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I guess I should make clear that I do not personally know anyone who's Force has taken a dive on them. In fact, I think I only know of one guy that runs one and have never heard any complaints. I do know however that they have a bad rap and the only people that I've heard say they are great motors are boat salesmen (if that is what they are trying to sell you at the time) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I had a early 80's vintage Sea King that was an ancestor to Force. Biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. Not really fair to blame Force for it, though. It was only distantly related.
I wish I knew who stole it. I'd write him a thank-you note for getting that miserable motor out of my life. :smile:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts