IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE THE OPTION TO BUY A 9 HP LONG SHAFT MERC FOR MY WILLIE DRIFT BOAT. THE MOTOR IS TWO YEARS OLD AND USED ABOUT 5 OR 6 TIMES I CAN BUY IT FOR 850 IS THAT A FAIR PRICE JUST ASKING THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
If it's a long shaft, 2 cycle with that little use, it sounds like a great deal. Merc's come in 8 and 9.9 horse power. 9 isn't right. I'd still check the serial number to verify the age and do a compression test to make sure it is in good shape. Look for any oil or residue around the exhaust port on the back/bottom of the motor case.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It is a very good price, if you don't take it let me know, I might take it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses

i got it last night and it doesn't even look like its been in the water and the guy i got it from wife stated that it only saw the water three or four times

i will keep my eyes open for any more deals like this i come across and post them since i have a motor

·
Registered
300 Posts
Originally posted by Pete:
Look for any oil or residue around the exhaust port on the back/bottom of the motor case.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What is that a sign of?

·
Registered
177 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look for any oil or residue around the exhaust port on the back/bottom of the motor case.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is that a sign of?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ya I thought all old mercs did this?

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
"Look for any oil or residue around the exhaust port on the back/bottom of the motor case."

The residue on mine is about 3/4 inches thick. I've had about a dozen Mercs in my life, and they all build residue there. I sure hope it is normal.

[ 05-15-2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Oh nevermind....I was gonna suggest you have the Ser. # checked out...in case it had been stolen. But I'm sure you knew the guy you bought it from, etc. etc.

Reason I brought it up....an acquaintance had his ser# checked when he registered his boat, or took it in for serice... and had found he'd bought a stolen motor. I think it happened when he licensed his boat. But they confiscated it, and he was out a motor and about $900.00.

:blush:

Mark

[ 05-15-2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: FishinMission ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts