IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Mercury 90 HP prop on a 2004 19’ Super Vee. I would like to convert it to a pump and back again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You might be under powered with a jet. Ask Alumaweld their opinion before buying the pump.

The swap is simple.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Yes I have done it before.

I still think a 90hp with a pump is gonna be marginal at best on a 19' sled. Add in a couple buddies, a full tank of gas, and some gear, and quite honestly I wonder if it will plane.

The swap between pump and prop takes about an hour on my 200 Merc. I doubt yours is a lot different than that.

So long as the motor is the correct height for a jet, it is a pretty easy.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I have a 2002 17' super-v with a 2002 90 hp mercury jet on it, and it is underpowered. I can't imagine trying to push 2 more feet of boat with it.

With 3 or 4 people in the boat, I consistently get asked if I have it at full throttle (and it takes a bit to get on step). With a 19 foot boat I doubt this would be something you'd want to take in skinny water- which is what a jet is for.

You'll get 60 hp at the pump, and 60 horses isn't much on a 19 foot sled.

jmho, aw

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have a 2002 17' super-v with a 2002 90 hp mercury jet on it, and it is underpowered. I can't imagine trying to push 2 more feet of boat with it.

With 3 or 4 people in the boat, I consistently get asked if I have it at full throttle (and it takes a bit to get on step). With a 19 foot boat I doubt this would be something you'd want to take in skinny water- which is what a jet is for.

You'll get 60 hp at the pump, and 60 horses isn't much on a 19 foot sled.

jmho, aw
I have an 18' Alumaweld tiller, 115/80. It will get 5 adults on plane after a LONG run on the lake, not something I would try on the river. It will handle 3 adults on the river, just fine. In my opinion you will be totally disappointed with a 90/65 on a 19' sled. If I ever repower mine, I'm going to shoot for a 150/115.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have a 17'10" NR Scout, with a 115 pumped down to 80HP. That's the max rating for my hull while using a tiller, and I still wish on occasion that I had more. Your 90 will rate around 63HP with a pump, probably not the best fit with a 19' hull. You probably want to run a 150 pumped down to 105, for best results, just be sure the hull is rated for the engine that you plan on using.

Steve/RR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts