IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have milkish colored greese or oil coming out of my prop and exhaust port on the 6 horse 2000 merc. It runs great, does anyone know what is causing this?

-6horse

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
milkish brown color is water mixing with oil. I am not an outboard mechanic, but I would guess you have a seal or gasket blown somewhere.

RF

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have a 1997 8 hp merc, It leaves the same residue droppings all over my concrete. I checked the lower unit lube, it was full and no water intrusion. I realized it was unburned 2cycle oil mixing with water. If you want to test this to see if that is the problem, try using synthetic 2cycle oil and see if the problem disapears.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1996 6hp merc. It is from unburned mixture. Possible cure is to add the thermostat kit which will raise the temperature in the combustion chamber enough to burn off some of it. Looks ugly , but doesn't seem to hurt performance. I'm adding the thermostat because I don't like what it does to the water.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I had an 86 Merc 6 HP that discharged unburned oil for about 12 years. It will eventually plug the exhaust ports and you can suffer loss of power and hard starting. It just needs to be cleaned once in a while, depending on the hours you put on it.

SD

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys, I checked the lower unit oil and it was fine.

fish-addict does using adding synthetic oil to the gas solve the problem for you?

-Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts