IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a '74 Merc 50. When she runs she runs great (nice sounding, smooth) the last time out, was unable to keep it running. It would start up fine but stop within a minute or so. Re-prime and start right up again then die in a minute or so.

It seems to me that it is running out of gas. We tried a different tank and hose setup to see if it was in the tank or fuel line/bulb, but had the same problem. I am now leaning towards needing to either

a) rebuild the pump, or
b) replace the fuel pump.

so my question for anyone with more outboard motor repair experience is. Does this sound like a problem a re-build will fix? Is that a job a novice can tackle? and finally is replacing a fuel pump a job for a novice.

Thanks
MGM

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
check the jets ... my 89 8 HP started acting the way you describe yours ... the jets were grooved. Replacing them solved the problem - of course, that was only after I rebuilt the carb and fuel pump twice. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Sounds like the fule pump. I had the same type of problem on my Nissan.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just got my boat back from R&M marine. Kind of had the same problem your motor has. Except my motor is a 2000 115 merc jet. They tested just about everything and came to the conclusion that it was the coils. Two of the coils were bad. What could have caused this to happen I don't know.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Fuel pump rebuild on a 1960 Merc is super easy. That's the extent of MY knowledge.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks,

we had the carbs rebuilt a short while back. I assume they did it right (the prior owner I was told did not, but that is another story)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts