IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I read on a kicker thread that Merc four-stroke powerheads were Yamaha powerheads. True?
If so, is it true for all Merc four-stroke models, or just a certain HP range?
Any links on where I can read further on Merc w/Yami heads?
And.......if all models are Yami powerheads, anyone have arguements on why to by a Yami over a Merc?......warranty?......the rest on the motor?

Help appreciated,
Freak

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I heard that the big Merc (225) 4-stroke was a Yamahammer, but I haven't confirmed this. Don't know about the little ones. :whazzup:
There's enough Merc owners on this board to give us an answer. Has anyone popped their cowling and taken a good look at their powerhead?

There's conflicting info on the web. Apparently Yamaha did make Merc's first 4-strokes while Merc was still in development with their own design. Not clear what they're doing now.

[ 10-02-2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
From what I gather, all Merc 4 strokes use Yamaha powerheads....I had a '97 9.9 Merc 4 stroke and it indeed was a Yamaha power head.

Looking @ the new Merc 225hp 4 stroke, it's a Black Yamaha, with Merc decals on it . :grin:

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Cosmo is on the right track.

it depends on the hp and what year it was manufactured in.

Both companies have made enough great motors that I would own either brand and be happy about it.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have a 9.9 4 stroke and bought a new Merc fuel line connector for it the other day. It doesn't fit. Looks like the Yamaha connector will fit, for what that's worth. :whazzup:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
When I bought my 2001 Yamaha 250 Saltwater series I did a bunch of research comparing similar two stroke engines and the 250 Merc was rated much lower (and about $2000 cheaper) than the Yamaha so I'd be pretty confident in saying that for my motor at least there isn't a Merc. equivalent.

This sounds more like a thing Merc guys would make up to convince themselves that they really have a good motor - kind of like Volkswagen guys who claim their car is really an Audi with different badges. :grin:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe Yamaha doesn't actually manufacture outboard engines. As I understand it Yamaha has a manufacturer building the engines (San Chen Motors?). You are correct that the Mercs 9.9, 15, 25, and every motor over 60 are the same as what Yamaha is buying.

·
Registered
220 Posts
According to Trailer and Boat magazine the new (2003)225 or bigger Merc are made by Yamaha (same powerhead) and ALL Mariners are made by Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have a 96 50 horse merc/yamaha when I had a tac. wired up to it the mechanic had to get a yamaha wiring scematic to wire it. So he proceded to tell me that until about the year 2000 that the merc 4 srokes were all yamaha powerheads. The reason being is unknown I think it might have been some kind of legal thing not sure maybe someone can shed some more light on it.

Just let me see the river and I'll be fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The reason Merc has Yamaha make there engines is called Outsourcing.Its cheaper for them to have them built than build them.By the way FYI ALL new 2003 Johnson 4 strokes EXCEPT 6&8 HP are made by SUZUKI now.But cost more!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts