IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to one of my favorite research books entitled "Oregon Geographic Names", the word memaloose is the Chinook indian word for death or dead.

--spud-- :smile:

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
I KNOW! I KNOW!

It means May 10th I get to start fishing for Springers there!!!

Right? :whazzup:

Jen

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
24 on / 48 off is right. But I think in these cases the word actually refers to a cemetary / burial ground. From what I have read there were several memaloose on islands up and down the Columbia before white settlement. Memaloose State park was one of these.

G

·
A little fishing trivia here. Who knows what the word Memaloose actually means? There are two areas in oregon that have that name. One of course is the famous fall salmon area by the oyster house on T-Bay. The other is in the Columbia Gorge.
I'll bet Pete knows :grin:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
There's also a Memaloose Creek up on the upper Clack. I always wondered why this name keeps popping up around the state.

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
My copy of Oregon Geographical Names (which is the clearly dated 1974 edition) also lists Memaloose Island in Wasco County. It goes on to say, "There are a number of geographic features in Oregon bearing the Chinook jargon word for death or dead. They were so named because they were Indian burial places. Several islands in the Colubia River are named Memaloose. The most important is near the south bank of the river between The Dalles and Mosier. ... Memaloose is given by Gibbs as memaloost , who says it is from the Chinook Indian word memalust , meaning "to die"."

What I find curious is that the Chinook word would show up in places well outside their territory. Perhaps the word in neighboring nations was similar. No matter what, those large finned creatures did and still do swim past many of these locations and I plan to get me some more ... ones that are at least 39 inches long!

[ 04-20-2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts