IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Marvelous! Will they charge the houseless? Can I launch and park for free if I am homeless? What if I claim to live there?

Quite frankly, pricing out the riff raff in this particular park would be a good thing.

That brings back memories of the shanties at Dahl Beach.
Or the Monkey Hotel.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That brings back memories of the shanties at Dahl Beach.
Or the Monkey Hotel.
The drift wood shacks right below Dahmler are pretty impressive, one is two stories with a deck and they are pirating electricity from somewhere.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
The drift wood shacks right below Dahmler are pretty impressive, one is two stories with a deck and they are pirating electricity from somewhere.

I swear there were guys living down there, then the city tore everything down and hauled it away.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
They said they going to charge everyone. You will be able to purchase annual passes. Gladstone residents, and anyone with a disabled placard are free entry.
$3. a day is not going to break anyone’s bank. If you are disabled, it won’t cost you anything to fish at Meldrum.
It could have been $5. And only boaters, and anyone using the ramp would have had to pay.
Having everyone pay, is more fair. Plus because it is everyone, it’s only $3.
Remember, in the next few years, they will be tearing up the Abernathy bridge, so that’s going to close down Sportcraft ramp for quite awhile.
It’s not going to make the other ramps pay. It’s going to keep the adventurers (homeless) from over domesticating the park.
Plus, it will generate monies for the Gladstone parks and rec. to do some upgrades, and improvements to all of their parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
True it won’t break anyone but I already buy an Annual NW Forest Pass, Annual Clackamas County Boat Ramp pass, Tillamook County Boat Ramp Pass, and a Lane County Ramp Pass. It would be nice if we could just fold all these fees into our state taxes and fishing license/boat license fees. I still have to pay it but at least I don’t have to die by a thousand little cuts and cover my dashboard in passes. One pass to rule them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: garyk

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
True it won’t break anyone but I already buy an Annual NW Forest Pass, Annual Clackamas County Boat Ramp pass, Tillamook County Boat Ramp Pass, and a Lane County Ramp Pass. It would be nice if we could just fold all these fees into our state taxes and fishing license/boat license fees. I still have to pay it but at least I don’t have to die by a thousand little cuts and cover my dashboard in passes. One pass to rule them all. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sort of fee is just another brick in the wall that slowly grows larger and incrementally squeezes out the public from accessing the resource that they own. At some point why should they care about something they use?

It's not like we Oregonians don't already pay a 10%+ personal income tax and rather steep boat registration fees. BTW, ODFW has been banging the drum about declining license sales. It's no surprise....

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I know that I’m tapped out. If this wasn’t free for me, I probably would quit fishing there. But......
I’m quitting fishing anyway. I’m tired of paying through the nose for In App Purchases, you might say. Buy a license to fish, for $100 bucks, then you have pay $2000, for additional fees just to fish. I’m done!
I won’t be buying anymore licenses, tags or park fees.
You have tapped me to the limit! I’m done with Oregon’s buy to play. Oh! We are sorry, we gave all to the commercials, but thank you for paying to not play.
Anyone want to buy a boat, and a bunch of salmon fishing gear? It’s all up for sale.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I know that I’m tapped out. If this wasn’t free for me, I probably would quit fishing there. But......
I’m quitting fishing anyway. I’m tired of paying through the nose for In App Purchases, you might say. Buy a license to fish, for $100 bucks, then you have pay $2000, for additional fees just to fish. I’m done!
I won’t be buying anymore licenses, tags or park fees.
You have tapped me to the limit! I’m done with Oregon’s buy to play. Oh! We are sorry, we gave all to the commercials, but thank you for paying to not play.
Anyone want to buy a boat, and a bunch of salmon fishing gear? It’s all up for sale.

Yep, that's pretty much where I'm at too. Our third year without a salmon tag. Still paying the near $100.00 for the wife and I to fish a few times a year for panfish. Mainly because of vacation at a coastal lake where we fish most every day.

I have the "Old Man Pass" that get's us into federal sites/ramp/parking/parks. It wouldn't be so bad paying more at some places if you didn't have to see the massive waste of the taxpayers monies in so many places. No priorities are set.

As far as meldrum goes, all I've ever done there is pull in to take a look and pull out. A time or two we might sit in the car for 10 minutes and watch the fishermen.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
So I can I get my meth while plunking o do I have to stop before the gate?
I know you are just trying to be funny, but I find that comment rude and unenlightened. Yes, I know the old joke about the only reason someone would plunk is if they had addiction issues, child suport, or
was disabled. The implication being if you don't have a boat there must be something wrong with you. Again, unenlightened. And not funny. We all choose to fish the way we do for a lot of reasons. Rectal-crain-e-otomy time, Bub. (And don't bother making some sort of bunched panty comment, either) We all deal with the homeless encroaching on our recreational space. Especially in that part of the Metro. Comments like that only make things worse.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Judy. I know this is one of your favorite rocks. Let us know if there is some way we can help. It would rather suck if I had to pay $ to have my lunch between calls and look for a pink rod holder. ;>)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I know you are just trying to be funny, but I find that comment rude and unenlightened. Yes, I know the old joke about the only reason someone would plunk is if they had addiction issues, child suport, or
was disabled. The implication being if you don't have a boat there must be something wrong with you. Again, unenlightened. And not funny. We all choose to fish the way we do for a lot of reasons. Rectal-crain-e-otomy time, Bub. (And don't bother making some sort of bunched panty comment, either) We all deal with the homeless encroaching on our recreational space. Especially in that part of the Metro. Comments like that only make things worse.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Judy. I know this is one of your favorite rocks. Let us know if there is some way we can help. It would rather suck if I had to pay $ to have my lunch between calls and look for a pink rod holder. ;>)
Hey, I HAVE A BOAT, and I still plunk--a lot. I think it takes me back to my childhood fishing for catfish. It's nice, a chair on the beach, a rod with a bell. No worries, kick back, enjoy the company, read a book, wait for the ring. I don't fish metro, though.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey, I HAVE A BOAT, and I still plunk--a lot. I think it takes me back to my childhood fishing for catfish. It's nice, a chair on the beach, a rod with a bell. No worries, kick back, enjoy the company, read a book, wait for the ring. I don't fish metro, though.
Well, I will receive an email from the Mayor with the image of the flyer about the entry fee. The machine has been purchased and may be installed around the end of March.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Well, I will receive an email from the Mayor with the image of the flyer about the entry fee. The machine has been purchased and may be installed around the end of March.
Did they say where said machine is going to be placed? How many machines? Will there be an option to pay by an app on the smartphone? I see nothing but a disaster when these machines go in place. From vandalism to machines to lined up boats in peak springer season and people just outright parking on top, screwing traffic up on river rd and walking in. Terrible idea. Clackamette and sportcraft are next.
I wonder how strictly this will be enforced.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Did they say where said machine is going to be placed? How many machines? Will there be an option to pay by an app on the smartphone? I see nothing but a disaster when these machines go in place. From vandalism to machines to lined up boats in peak springer season and people just outright parking on top, screwing traffic up on river rd and walking in. Terrible idea. Clackamette and sportcraft are next.
I wonder how strictly this will be enforced.
Why is the sky always falling on your world?
It's the fear of the unknown.
Chill bro, everything will turn out ok. Unfortunately things never stay the same.
Don't get me wrong here, I don't want this any less than you do.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, the parking fee became a reality. Machine going in this week, takes credit/debit cards only and you can get a pass at City Hall. If you are a resident or disabled, bring in a bill that proves you are a resident of Gladstone, or a disabled placard and drivers license to fill out a form. Your free pass will be mailed to you. There is a yearly pass for $40 for all others. Just think, Disneyland charges $107 being the cheapest just to get in through the gate, just the beginning of spending money.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
There was a comment about "using revenue generated to help with the funding of other city parks". If that's true, there in lies an issue. I'd be curious if the city gets any funding from the marine board for the boat ramp? If so, boaters are getting screwed here..... Watch out West Linn, here comes the crowds.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Thanks for the update Judy. What's the daily rate?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Follow the money. These fees will go up. These fees will be used to pay for other "cutesy" park and recreation amenities that have nothing to do with boating, fishing. Guess who will be doing the heavy financial lifting to pay for all the other goodies fishermen never use? Anglers will. I seldom use that ramp, but this is a major ripoff. I would hope the Oregon Marine Board frowns on this bigly. It's a pure scam. It's up there with Oregon's road improvements that strictly emphasis . . bike lanes. Azzholes.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts