IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way of measuring these guys?
Ive heard of putting marks on the outside of the boat so you dont have to bring them in until your sure there a keeper.
Just looking for ideas.
Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mark a spot on your floor board 42" from the transom, you can slide the nose of the fish up tight and get a good idea real quick. If it's close, break out the tape. These are tough fish, bringing them onboard for a measurement before quickly releasing them is an acceptable practice.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Follow the example shown in the fishing regulations. That way if Mr. Game warren checks your fish you have no worries.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tackle Time in Warrenton used to sell 60" aluminum rules. They work great and worth finding. When you figure out the fishery out of Astoria you will probably end up not even considering keeping the just legal ones. I don't even consider tagging any thing under 46". They are just too many fish down there well above that size to keep the small ones. So the issue of are they legal does not come up.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I've got marks on the top of my splash well. One at 42" and one at 60" Gently lay them on it and I know pretty quick. Remember that when you lift a fish out to measure, lift by the tail and a hand under the front fins to help support. Lower inpact on the handling of the fish.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I cut a 60" stick and drew a black line at 42" with a permanent marker. We keep the stick on the floor of the boat so it is right there handy. Or, pick it up and use over the side of the boat. Works well both ways and beats fighting a measuring tape.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
Greenbuttskunk: :smile:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I did something similar for a stick. Having done an irrigation system in my yard, I had some spare white PVC pipe, 1". I took a ~64" section and marked 42" and 60" with black electricians tape. I then marked 2" increments with a black marker. The advantage of PVC is that it does not shrink, warp, swell and is very visible. If you want it to float, you can cap the ends. I left mine open so it is easier to immerse along side the fish still in the water (for those 61" fish :rolleyes: ). This was a very inexpensive measuring stick, lays flat in my boat along the rear deck, and can be marked for other fish also. Remember, sturgies must be measured lying on their side on a flat surface.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grab em at the tail, hold vertical and touch thier nose to the floor. measure...that's it. Fast and the fish hangs still. you only touch the fish one at the tail

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
Dunkman: Please don't hold them up by their tails. They only have thin tissue holding their organs in place. Gravity does bad things inside them. The legal measure is on their side, laying on a flat surface with the tail in a natural position.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the reply's. I like the pvc pipe, simple and cheap.
Thanks all!!! :smile:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I took my wife's sewing tape. You know the kind they measure you with. Lay them on their sides in the boat. Nose to tip of upper tail.

[ 06-11-2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: rags ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts