IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You OC guys definitely have lots of those shiny rod pounders still heading your way.

After Sat.'s Tackle Swap we headed to lower Multnomah Channel @7pm for our first attempt at anchoring for shad (in the past, we've bank fished at Bonneville). Had pretty good action on my home tied redhead/crystal-flash jigs, once we figured out some productive leadline lengths. Red/white chennille crappy jigs did good too.

Sunday we fished late AM through the afternoon. While we did OK bringing home thirtysome of the Dungeness magnets, we could have done better if we'd had some of the hot lures - silver/gold and the chartreuse tipped brass Dick Nites. (42" leadline, 3oz, 40" leader this day).

Tonite, after parlaying a little of our Tackle Swap earnings into Dick/Lucky Nites and chart.grubs, we headed back out for the 7pm shift. Good action again. Shortened things up to 36" leadline, 3 or 2ozs, ~30" of 6# leader. Best producers were the chart-tipped brass Dick Nite and the little chart twisty tail grubs on small gold jig hooks.

Lots and lots of line bumps too, so there's still a ton of these guys headed your way.

So the word is - got freezer space?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Gary,
I always use a 30" dropper and a 36 to 40" leader, The most productive colors are a wee dick nite or a lucky nite in silver and chartruse or red and white.

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weds. 6/4

Went back out this evening on the lower MC.

Action was slightly slower than before, but enought to be entertaining and after a 91f day, what better place to cool off and enjoy the evening.

We fished from 6:30-9pm. The action slowed around 8pm.

Even though the current was not running as hard, the shad were holding closer to the bottom it seemed. 28-30" leadlines with 3oz weight, leaders about same length. We fished double rigs and the little chart twisty tail grubs on small gold jig hooks on the bottom caught all of the shad tonite. Had a bunch of hard hits not stick or fall off so we brought home only 9.

I wouldn't want to guess as to how the weekend will be? The Columbia is likely better for sheer numbers. For some relaxed fishing though, I think the lower MC will still have suffecient shad moving through this weekend, if in lesser numbers then the week prior.

A steady flow of debris was coming down again tonight, so keep a lookout upstream while anchored.

[ 06-05-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thursday (06/05) evening.

We weren't able to go out but I did speak to two boats as they came in from the lower MC.

Both seemed to have gotten into plenty of shad, so there should still be enough coming through for good action this weekend on the lower Multnomah Channel.

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sunday, June 8th.

This evening we took out a friend who has never caught a shad. We quickly cured that situation.

Starting at about 5:30, we found the action to be slower then previous days, and we had to move once to find a productive travel lane.

Brass&orange Dick Nites, and the little chartreuse twisty grubs accounted for the bites. Droppers varied from 18" to 24". I caught with a 30" dropper but when that rod went dead, shortened to 24" and got back into them.

The action really died at 8pm and we quit shortly after.

It may be that the peak of the Willamette run is past and now we're in a tapering off period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts