IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive labored over posting this since I got home last night from tuna Fishing. But It was the coolest thing Ive ever seen while fishing, So I gotta post it up.

I was heading back in From where I was tuna Fishing Offshore about 35 miles SW of Westport, or almost Due West of Willipa. Water was still blue and the temp was 63.4 degrees

Im cruising at about 25 MPH when straight off my bow about 200 yards I see a huge crashing Splash. I saw what appeared to be some shiny reflection as well and it actually startled me a little. So I keep heading straight in that direction, and about 5 seconds later, and a LOT closer I see it. A Marlin about 6' long just launches straight up out of the water, and it was perfectly broad side to me:bigshock:. Perfect Sillouette of a Marlin, Without a doubt in my mind. The way it jumped was just like you see them when they tail walk, when they are fighting on a line. then It crashes back to the water. I just about ****** myself.... I immediately throttled back and tossed out the clones Praying for at least a follow, drive by, another jump or something... But NaDa.. Gave it about 20 minutes and gave up. Never saw it again. Had the video camera out and ready, but he never showed himself again.

Im not sure what the right tactics are for catching a marlin, But It was the coolest thing ive ever seen

Also another boat in my group saw a turtle they estimated to be 300-400#, and we had a swarm of dolphins working around us almost all day.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
CONGRATS! if it was anything like the one we saw a couple weeks ago if will haunt you! i hope we see at least one on the dock this year.

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Wow! What an amazing year we are having. seems no end to the great & exciting reports.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
CONGRATS! if it was anything like the one we saw a couple weeks ago if will haunt you! i hope we see at least one on the dock this year.
I've released every one I've ever cought in Mexico, but I'm thinking if I cought one in Oregon we must keep it. Marlin Jerky for all ifishers! :yay:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sweet! I'd love to see a billfish up here. I did see something similar, and unusual to me, what I believe to have been a great white launching itself 6 - 8 feet out of the water! It was not a graceful type of jump like porpoise or marlin, I've seen several marlin in fishing out of San Diego. I could certainly be wrong about the great white assumption, but I'm sure it wasn't a porpoise, tuna or marlin...... well, pretty sure.:shrug: BTW, this was a few miles south of the Heceta Banks after limiting on hali's then scratching up a few tuna.

Richard

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
lets hope he is still around Weds night cause we gonna hook his bill, or will be caught trying

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its bad enough that Ive got this tuna addiction, and just bought another Avet today, but now Seeing this Marlin......Im in serious trouble .

I might need to go seek some professional help:passout:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Actually a marlin was landed off of Westport about 10 years ago. Two guys in a small boat fishing for tuna hooked and landed a marlin.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually a marlin was landed off of Westport about 10 years ago. Two guys in a small boat fishing for tuna hooked and landed a marlin.

One was also sport caught in westport in 2005 as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts