IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hiking into Marion Lake since the late 60's when I was a wee tot. I hiked into Marion Lake for the last 3 days and did a little fishing and a lot of hiking. We have been going in there on each of my sons birthdays and this was birthday number 6 for him.

On the way in, I took a picture of Ann Lake which is a 1/2 mile or so before you get to Marion Lake. Plenty of fish they are mostly dumbbells, having big heads and little bodies. Pretty lake, but shallow and not the best fishing.

Then I got to Marion, and took a picture of it with Three Fingered Jack in the background. Didnt have any problem catching enough fish for a couple meals, of course cooking them with the newly imposed 1/4 mile from the lake no campfire ban was a different mater :rolleyes: All of the fish I caught from the bank were brookies and rainbows in the 9 to 10 inch size. I didnt spend a lot of time fishing, but in the evening the fish would come up into the shallows and catching them wasnt too hard.

We hiked to Prill lake on saturday, which does not have a marked trail, unless you know where the blaze trail takes off, and want to do a mile of cross country hiking gaining a 1000 feet of vertical to get to it. We did not fish Prill though it has fish in it. That is Mt. Jefferson in the background

Saturday night their was a hatch at Marion that would rival anything I have ever seen. I tried to catch some of the bugs over the water in this photo, I hope the picture shows them here. Fishing was pretty good there for a while :wink:

I wish I could spend more time in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness hiking from lake to lake and fishing. :smile:

[ 07-14-2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Wow nice pictures thanks for sharing :cheers:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I love hiking and fishing and camping in the great outdoors. I used to put a pack on my back and be gone for days like that. Thanks Roy.

:smile: Smily :smile:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Great pics. The neighbor has promised to take me in and show me Ann Lake. He brought some nice brookies out early this year. It was still snowing up there..

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Originally posted by Bait O' Eggs:
...of course cooking them with the newly imposed 1/4 mile from the lake no campfire ban was a different mater
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">There's new technology called a "stove."

We shouldn't be burning up wood in the wilderness anyway.

Thanks for the geat pix, I need to get up there again.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lost Sailor :hoboy:

I took a small backpack stove but didnt plan, or pack, to cook fish to feed 4 people on it when I loaded for the trip and wasnt aware of the new no fire regulation until I got to the trailhead. Of course I could walk 440 yards from the lake edge and build as big a fire as I wanted and it would be perfectly fine by by those making the regulations. :shrug:

It could be said you shouldnt be burning fossil fuel but I bet you started your car this morning, unless you used your hemp powered magic carpet to get to work :wink:

I have seen a lot of changes in the lake regulations over the years. Family use to have a boat we kept in the lake year round, I think it was the early 70's they made that be taken out. Dont know the date when they imposed the no motor rule, but we use to have an outboard motor we kept in there. No wheeled devices into the lake anymore to haul gear in. Then their was the no fire within 100 feet of the lake or a trail. Now it is just a flat 1/4 mile campfire ban from the lake, and probably 10 - 15% of the lake shore has no camping allowed on it now. In a couple years it their will be more regulations :shrug: Some of the regulations are good, some I dont agree with. There are just to many people going into these lakes who dont know what "no trace" camping is. The 3 doughballs camped 100 yards from us, lit a campfire as soon as it got dark, and you couldnt see smoke and were rude obnoxious idiots. Of course I dont know :wink: how the ranger got informed the next morning when she was doing her checks, and handing out shovels so people could bury their human waste.
(just what I want is for my tax dollars to be paying for some girl to be walking around handing out free shovels for people who were to lazy to pack a shovel in :mad: )

My original comment was made with a rolleyes following it. I just think it is silly to say you cant build a fire here on this lake, but that lake over there, a 1/2 mile, it is fine to build a fire next to. The good is, lots of people will cross Marion off their list of places to go since they cant have a campfire, which will be a good thing. :dance:

[ 07-14-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Roy, Great pictures, looks like a great trip. I love those small lakes for hiking into and doing a little fishing, nothing better than fresh fried trout over a campfire.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Things was definitely better in the Good Ol' Days! We used to camp out on the peninsula at Bays Lake and have a rip-roaring fire ... what a great spot! Now you can't even camp out there (too close to the water!), forget the fire.

Who let all these people in?

"Hemp powered magic carpet" ... I don't do that stuff any more. :depressed:

:cheers:

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I've been going to Marion Lake since I was 5 or so. Great lake with plenty of fish in it. Problem is, is that it's a fairly short hike, so a lot of people go there. I for one don't necessarily agree with the fire regs., but I'm happy to hear it 'cause less people will go. Thanks for the pictures, I'm gettin' excited for my trip up there next weekend.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Nice pics and story. Glad you had a good time overall.

Yes, more and more restrictions and regulations. Before too long you will have to work for the forest service or the state to enjoy the natural resources we have.

Giz...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Great pictures! I have been to Marion only a few times, but it is one of my favorites. I need to figure a way to get my pontoon boat up there. Anybody have a helicopter??

Steelie28

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
BOE
Thanks for the pictures....
Ann lake holds some nice brookies.
One of my fondest childhood memories is pulling a 15 inch brookie out of the lilly pads on the east side of the lake. I knew i had a big one on and it broke me off.
Seconds later I see the lilly pad thrashing about. It was wrapped around the lilly pad. I reached down and heaved dinner into the rubber raft.
One time I heard a rustling in camp early one morning only to find a monster mule deer digging through my pack two feet from the entrance of my tent. I thought it was a yetty. I don't know who was more terrified when I poked my head out , me or him....
Then there was the time we thought we could leave early in the morning and be back for football practice @ 5 p.m.in Dallas. We forgot a watch.
Or there was the time the forcast changed after we left the parking lot only to wake up with 4 inches of rain in the tent.
Thanks again
novice

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got a real nice knife at the bottom of Prill. Been there since '71. We did that climb,(nasty) but had no flotation with us. We put together a raft with some of the logs laying around. Stayed up long enough to go across and back once. Caught a bunch of fish, lost the knife, but had a great time none the less. Your post sent me back. Might be time for a return trip.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bait - man, you hit the nail right on the head. Marion Lake (among others) is a BEAUTIFUL place that some people just don't seem to respect. I have a vision of a Bama Pecan Pie tin rolling across the campgrounds in the wind..... or Top Ramen wrappers. You have to pay to park at the trail head & you will get a ticket if you don't have a sticker, but I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for littering, building a fire too close, or being rude &/or obnoxious. Is it just me or is something wrong with this picture? If there are hunters safety classes, why not outdoors common sense classes? Fortunalely, I also have a memory of a brook trout pulling my raft around, and my son catching a 17&1/2" 'bow on his 15th birthday, and that one is better by far than the others. Theres' still hope.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We had always headed into the Eight Lake basin the week after July4th. Usually camped at Mowich Lake, then did day trips out to the other lakes.
One year I had stashed a couple large brookies in a snow bank 50-100 ft away from the camp site, for breakfast the next morning. Had the fring pan going with some freah garlic and butter, went to get my fish, and they were gone. Just a set of tracks the size of my hand in the snow bank, some black bear had my breakfast. :shrug: I had to settle for oatmeal. :rolleyes:
Its been close to 20 years since I've been up there, the pictures bring back good memories.
thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
the nice thing about marion eventhough there may be 50-60 cars at trail head is that it still seem pretty remote cause the lake is so big. don't like the 1/4 mile fire restrictions, thats part of camping( fire by the lake) but you can't hardly find wood around there after may anyhow. bottom line thought is that it won't affect the fishing or fun. :grin:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Roy. Beautiful area. Never been there myself. Not much of a hiker these days. To easy to jump into the boat. Kudos for taking the kids. Bet they loved it there.

This is a first. Can't think of one smart arse remark to send your way. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts