IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a "SMR - Striker 550-78" marine radio that is probably about 10 years old. While we were both at bouy 10 this year, he could hear me trying to reach him, but he could not send out on his radio. After discussions with some radio shop he replaced the microphone with what they said would work. We tried again and all he did was heat up the whole radio, but still couldn't send a message. Does anyone know if there is a radio repair shop in the Portland/Vanacouver Wa. area that services these radios? He lives in White Salmon Wa. so I suppose there is nothing close up there that he hasn't already tried. I think he has tried Rogers Marine, and a couple others in the area. Hopefully someone on ifish will have the answser

Thanks, and tight lines to all

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You might want to check out the antenna. I know if the antenna is grounded imporperly.. it won't work.. and will have the same symptoms you are talking about.
d

·
Registered
216 Posts
First try this before takeing it in the shop,, unplug the coax to the antenna, if you have a another to temp use try it,,or just resodder the plug on the coax,,,Mine had a cold sodder joint an I redid it, works great now.. It was doin the same thing as your buddies...worth a try might save u some $$$.. :cheers:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:smile: Thanks for the replys. I will definately pass the info on. I have an idea he may have checked that, but then he never mentioned it :shrug: In any event, he will get your advice immediatly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Take a volt ohm meter and put it on the ohm scale and measure for conductivity between the center connection on the coaxial cable to the antenna. If this is correct check to see if there is conductivity between the center connection on the coaxial cable and the shield. If there is then there is a short between these two and should try and find and fix. If thes items are correct then your xmitter should work.
When you say the xmitter was getting hot this would indicate it is not loading properly to the antenna and the problem is in that area.
The coaxial shield should be grounded, but this is done almost automaticlly on a boat when it is connected to the xmitter. With the center coaxial connection going directly to the antenna with not ground on it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I must add that if you tranmitted to long when the xmitter was hot you could have damaged the xmitter and the repairs would probably be more trouble than to buy a new xmitter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts