IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RvW,well how lucky do you feel? One quick way to tell if you battery is any good is do a specific gravity check on each cell. The tester is just like an antifreeze test. If all cells check good chances are the battery will be ok. But the true test is the load test,and that for you is the trolling motor. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hi RVW,

I use a Marine battery for my trolling motor, and I use it mostly for lake trolling.

My .02, "Just use it".

When you recharge it, only use 1.5 amp trickle charger. Deep cycle batteries can be ruined if charged too fast.

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Hey skipper, how ya been? I'd like to extend an invitation for you and your buddy "harborcraft" to come down and fish the Siletz :wink: (bring that ole fishkillin smiley along too!)

Thanks for the tip, never knew about charging too fast...its been on a 2 amp trickle since last night.

Thanks freespool...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Skipper- I don't know where you heard that, but Deep cycle Bats are use "en mass" on every big boat I've ever seen. Chargers typically run 100 amps. I've got a 30 amp in my boat and my deep cycles are 5 years old and still going strong. They are however not your automotive type chargers.
A trickle charger will not get a deep cycle battery to it's full potential. To do that you need a good 3 stage charger. A Trickle will not get the battery up to it's full amps or voltage because it's not "smart" enough to do it without cooking the battery. A "smart" 3 stage delivers high current at first, then backs the current off until it reaches a voltage , then has a "float" voltage to maintain peak charge without boiling the water off.
The single most important thing though to prolong a deep cycles life (especially wet cell) is to not discharge it below 50% of its rated ampacity. Unless you have an amphour meter you can't measure that, but a rule of thumb is 11 1/2 volts is 50%. Running it flat (10 1/2 volts rule of thumb) or even as low as 11 volts will significantly reduce the batteries ablitity to deliver it's original capacity.

PS- there's really no such thing as a "Marine Battery", that's just a marketing thing. There's deep cycles, starting bats and combination bats. There's also 3 types of dep cycles avail, wet cell, gel cell and AGM (absorbed glass mats). Each has it's own unique pros/cons, but there is no "type" of battery actually made different for Marine use. The best and most common type of Marine use deep cycles were actually developed for Golf Cart use. Golf cart bats take a lot of abuse.

[ 09-29-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I found an old Battery I used as a spare in my sled back oh, 8 years ago? It was half empty so I filled it up wth water and stcuk it on the charger...it reads 13.3 volts with no load.

Any reason this battery wont be reliable for an elec trolling motor?

Ive used old closed cells, throw-aways from the cable industry..(one in four were good batts) that read 12 volts but soon would die...dont want this to happen and dont have time to run this marine one dry and recharge it to see, I want to fish in an hour or so.

[ 09-29-2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Row Vs. Wade ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts