IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought Id write a little bit about my favorite method for catching these frisky little silvers, this time of year. What I do first is go and buy some leadhead jigs and marabou feathers and dig through my wifes fingernail polish to find that cool color, noone has ever tried before, sometimes you may even catch me in the make-up section at the department store looking at all those cool new flourescent colors and the new chrome polishes, just dont tell anybody if you see me doing this, lol.

But, for those of you who dont know how to tie jigs, you can buy them, I personally think that leadheads work a little better, it seems like they drop a little faster and make it easier to fish deeper and shallower, keeping your jig in the zone longer, typically using a nine foot or longer rod, so the jigging action you make with the rod depends on the depth of the hole, a long rod and a shallow hole can be difficult and requires you to watch very closely and shorten the length of your jigging action, so you dont pull the jig out of the water.

When you cast your jig into a hole, let it sink to the bottom and start bouncing it to you, you dont have to do anything special, just pull up somewhere around one o`clock and drop your rod quickly making sure to allow slack line on the drop of the jig, this gives the jig feathers great natural wounded action and also this is the silvers favorite time for hitting, alot of times when you come back up with your rod for another swoop of jigging action, itll be solid and fish on, its an awesome feeling, this is also one of the only methods Ive seen where the salmon seems to inhale the jig, they are really aggressive towards them. Make sure you fish all the way to your boots, alot of times theyll hit right before your ready to pull your jig out of the water, thats fun.

I use lightest line I can get away with, but not above 8lb test, I do this for casting reasons, and jigging action. I takes a spinning rod and reel to fish this efficiently, I use a 10`6 rod I make myself, out of a secret blank, lol. I usually use cardinal spinning reels, I like the new models, 200 and 300 series. It can be very tricky keeping your line form twisting up due to the slack line your trying to pick up as you move the jig towards you, I usually will keep my finger against the line near the bail of the reel, just to add a little tension so the twist isnt so bad. This just takes time to learn and can be frustrating at first, but after a few spools of line and a little cussing youll have it under your belt.

I like to use 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 oz jigheads. The size depends on the hole and line size your using. If you have clear water and not much current, then go with the lightest line you feel comfortable with, and the smallest jig the 1/16 oz. The light line adds to castability and action of the jig, allowing it to sink quicker because of the less density. The 1/8 oz, is the most common and can just about be used anywhere is one of my favorites. The 1/4 oz, should be used when fishing heavier current and heavier line, the extra weight will allow the jig to get down in the zone quicker with extra flow.

As far as colors go I like brown and black, you can use these colors as a straight color or add variations. I like to mix in other shades of dark colors. Dark cherise red, olive green, Flo Orange, Red. If you make your base color brown or black and add other colors in slightly this works best for me. My favorite of all time is, 1/8oz, with Flo Orange head and Brown marabou feathers, this is a coho killer. Just experiment sometimes Ill bring my jig tying stuff with me in my vest Ive tied up many jigs right on the river without a vice, just holding it.

This post was for those who werent sure what anyone meant when they would say jigging for silvers. If I forgot anything Im sure Ill post it underneath this one. Good Luck and fish on!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I would think this method would work great for steelhead too! Have you ever tried?

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
IFISHFORU, COME ON DOWN!

You have just won the first "Double thread, double post" contest! :smile:

No one, in the history of ifish, has done this yet!

YOU WIN! Send me your address, and I'll send you some ifish tackle goodies~! :smile: :smile:

Tee hee!

Jen

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yea I remember printing out this post/technique last year. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds exciting...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Coho seem to like the darting action of the jig a lot more then steelhead do. They almost always hit it when it's falling.

David Johnson was using a similar method when he caught this Coho in B.C.

Good info.

Mark

[ 10-29-2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: First Cast ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]:
IFISHFORU, COME ON DOWN!
You have just won the first "Double thread, double post" contest!
No one, in the history of ifish, has done this yet!
YOU WIN! Send me your address, and I'll send you some ifish tackle goodies~!
Tee hee!
Jen
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jen- you seem to be in a good mood today! :cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, Ive caught many steelhead doing this and especially on those rollers you cant get to bite anything else.

Jen, that was a good one, lol. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
We've caught them at the Barrier Dam that way.
We also foul hooked our share.
A kid I took to the Toutle 4 years ago caught one there that way also.

Dan

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
One day in Agust last year I had seven fish attach a pink and white marabo,I noticed it kinda fluttered while it was driftting,since then I may have caught two or three fish on a jig how can I duplicate the flutter? All my other jigs seem to suck in and look like little colored sticks.And are you using a slip bobber or what ? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have very rarely snagged fish doing this, but this is where technique comes into play and when you have 6lb test, you cant afford to foul hook a fish you`ll just lose your jig, there is no need for a hard upswing, if you do this cold result in snagged fish, and also for doing this method barbless hooks are needed and required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts