IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I too like the New England style chowder the best, I do like this as well. It really warms a guy up with that red pepper and spicy v-8 in there. It's grown on me a bit.

Brown 1/4 pound of chopped bacon and reserve about 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon fat
1 large onion, chopped medium
2 celery stalks, chopped medium
1 carrot - fine chop
5-10 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

In a 6-8qt. Kettle sauté the above in the bacon fat on medium-low heat until soft- stir so it doesn't burn.

After veggies have softened, add.
5 sprigs chopped fresh parsley
3 chopped green onion tops
3-4 bay leaves
1 -1.25 pound diced potatoes
3-4cups clamato juice and 1 cup spicy V-8 juice
Two 14 ounce cans chopped tomatoes (with liquid)
Bring to boil then simmer until potatoes are soft -about 15 min. or a bit more

After potatoes are soft, add about 1/3 of a large Costco can of clams and juice (or two big cups of chopped fresh razors)
1/2 to 1 tablespoon garlic salt or to taste
Add a bit more Clamato if it seems too thick. Or, if it's not thick enough, remove some of the potatoes, purée them with a hand blender then put them back in.

Top bowls with:
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped green onion tops or parsley for garnish

Goes great with BLTs

· Registered
16,777 Posts
With the up coming rainy weekend I think I'll have to try this recipe..............

Sounds like some Manhattan Style Chowda with some thick cut bacon BLT's for Sunday supper............

Thanks for posting, sound wonderful..........

· Registered
16,777 Posts
I cooked up a batch of this yesterday along with a double batch of Waterbobber's New England style for a birthday get together at my folks place. I haven't had Manhattan style chowder in a long time.......

Well, it was a hit. We will definitely do this one again......

The only changes I made were I upped the bacon to 1/2 pound, upped the clams to a full 54 oz Costco can, and added some clam juice.

Thanks Waterbobber for the recipe, it will be a go to in our house for sure...

· Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on....I tweak the recipe a bit here and there and I usually just cut a package of bacon in half So it's more like a half pound. I vary the clams depending on what I got. It's good stuff. Incidentally, I did my New England chowder today with the brick of cream cheese and it was a big hit served up in sourdough bread bowls from Costco. My wife initially said she didn't like the Manhattan style chowder, until I made a batch and she tasted it.....she's warming up to it.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Right on....I tweak the recipe a bit here and there and I usually just cut a package of bacon in half So it's more like a half pound. I vary the clams depending on what I got. It's good stuff. Incidentally, I did my New England chowder today with the brick of cream cheese and it was a big hit served up in sourdough bread bowls from Costco. My wife initially said she didn't like the Manhattan style chowder, until I made a batch and she tasted it.....she's warming up to it.
Love it, bro! Pretty soon the warming will transcend to red-hot for your bride.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bumping this to the top for the up coming colder/wet weather...............

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bumping this to the top...........

Excellent recipe for those cold rainy college football watching days........

Be sure to read through all the comments for some slight changes that up the game.....

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bumping this to the top for the up coming colder/wet weather...............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts