IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning towards buying the Magellan Sportrak Pro Marine. I probably will unless someone gives me a good reason not to. How about it? Anybody have one they regret buying? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Snapset:

I have the SportTrak pro and really like it. It has all of the practical functions, is easy to use, and is pretty reasonlably priced. I have noticed 2 downsides. 1)Battery life. I have the cigarette lighter attachment for it (a must!) when in the car, but for hunting season this year I will have to bring a backback full of batteries. It drains batteries even without using the backlight feature. 2)The mapping is not totally accurate. While driving down the highway it will, at times, read that I am 3 feet to 15 feet off of the highway when, in fact, I am driving on the road. Not a huge deal, but a minor inconvenience. However, when you make a waypoint it is dead-on accurate when you get to that waypoint, so it might be the problem with the mapping system. Anyway...overall I love mine and have not had any sort of functional problem with it. I would have to say that I recommend it!

-Mike

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with the GPS that was the determining factor in what I bought. I was at the Cabelas store last week, and picked out a nice GPS, but was talked into the cheaper model by the Cabelas guy. He said that all of the GPS units are the run the same, and that the higher end models only have more features, and memory. I found that with the cheaper model, I could do the same things I wanted to with the expensive model, just without the frills. They will all work, but if you just want waypoints and tracking ect, the basic model may work. The model I got had the RAM holder and battery plug in available for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the SportTrac Pro and love it. The mapping feature is great. I even use it in the city when I get lost. The functions are intuitive, so you don't need to be diggin thropugh the manual all the time. I have not noticed a major problem with battry life. I use premium battries and get about eight hours to a set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts