IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Todd and his son, Casey. Went out fishing with me this morning. Our plan was to do a little early Winter Steelhead fishing. We decided to hit the Necannicum River, figuring that the Wilson would be packed.

I got to Todd's house at 8:30am. Loaded my gear into his car. As we were loading our gear. I had realized I left my net at home. Todd, went to dig his out, but couldn't find it, remembering he left it in his car that was in the shop. We both looked at each other and with a chuckle, said, like we're going to catch anything. I had packed my Salmon gear, so we decided to pack two Salmon rods incase we saw Salmon rolling. So, we left his house by 9am.

Got out to the coast by 10amish. Rain pouring down hard. We could see the river along the side of Hwy 101. It was a little brown, but looked fishable. So, we went to one of my favorite spots. Started fishing for Steelhead first. Afer about an hour or so, and down pours of rain. I hooked into a nice 16" mint bright native Steelhead. It was one pretty fish. Took my pink worm hard! It was released unharmed. We were stoked, so kept fishing, but should have moved on. We moved upriver a bit after another hour. Found another sweet looking spot for Steelhead and Salmon to hold up. Todd and I really wanted to get his son into a fish. We decided to try for Salmon, since the hole looked really deep. I had brought 2 jars of eggs. One I cured myself with Ammerman's Cure and the other was store bought. Todd and his son decided to fish the hole near the bridge. It looked like a sweet drift for either species. So, I walked 15 yards down river from them. There was a nice eddy that was a great spot for Salmon to hold up before trying to push up through the fast water. The only problem was, the bank space was limted to a 3 x 3 feet area to stand on and fish. My first reaction was, man if I hook a fish, how the heck am I going to get the fish to the bank. It was just a big rock pile where I was and nothing but a cut bank to my right. Oh well...I decided to fish for Salmon. Set my bobber to 9 feet, slapped on the home cured eggs. Tossed it upriver. Watch my bobber drift down the fast water, swirl around and finally it drifts into the eddy. The water was much calmer, so my bobber finally sat upright. I watch the current take it up back to me, then back down again. I let do the merry go round drift as I call it. Never reeled up. On the 3rd time, as the bobber was coming back towards me, I see it start to "dance" :dance:. But, the only problem was, it was to the side of the cut bank. There was an overhanging tree and brushes all along the side. I knew if I set the hook, my line would get all tangled up in it. I figured if I tried setting the hook side ways, I might pull the hook out. So, reeled up all the slack line. Finally, the bobber goes down and never came up. The fish took off on me and the hook pretty much set itself. The fish dashed for the fast water first. So, I went ahead and cranked the rod up to make sure the hook was driven home! The fight was on. I immediately yelled to Todd and his son..Fish on! They come running over. I still had no idea what I had the line. I had no room to move, so if the fish took off on me, it was game over. Todd and his son were behind me on the bank excited. Finally, after about 10 minutes of running staying down it breached surface. A bright buck Chinook. We were STOKED!! His son and I were screaming like little kids in excitement. I asked his son if he wanted to take the rod and do it. He said no way, we tried talking him into it, but I think he was afraid of losing the fish and the spot I was standing at was scary, one mis step, and you were in the fast water and going to down river for sure.
So, here was the fun part. How the heck were we going to get this fish on the bank. There was no way to slide him up, all big rocks around me, only one of us could stand down there. So, we sent his son to look for anyone with a net. Wefigured not, cause where we were fishing, there wasn't anyone around. He came running back 5 minutes later with a few things he found in the car, strap to the cooler, shoe lace, and his shoe. We were laughing. Then he and Todd remembered that the car had a cargo net in the back. So, he ran to get that. All the while I was still battling the fish. This guy had a lot of power. After 15 minutes or so, he did not want to give up. My arm was getting sore everytime he got into the strong current, he just got a boost of energy and wanted run.
Casey finally came down with the cargo net. Todd made a make shift net out of it. We decided that the best way was for me to walk up and be behind Todd. So, we switched positions. He was now on rock where I was fishing and I was about 5 feet above him so that I could bring the fish in head first. Todd, said let's play him out a little more till he's side ways or belly up. So, another 5 minutes of playing he seems tired. I start my walk backwards. The fish's head comes at Todd, but it was still nerve racking to try grabbing the fish with his hands and net and keep his balance. I was litterly laughing as Todd reach down to attempt the first netting. The fish ran again. So, Todd feels around with his feet below the water. There were a few rocks 3 feet under the surface. So, he decided to stand on that instead and have me bring the fish into his body. My hands were starting to get numb, cause the rain starts to come down harder, Todd is up to his knees in water now, holding this net that only MacGyver could have made. Todd, finally has his footing all set. I pull the fish's head towards Todd, it felt like the fish was giving up finally. Todd put it's head into the net, lifted up and fish starts thrashing. I thought for sure the fish was going to flop out. Todd, grabs the tail, lift this fish up out of the water and just pins it into the rock against his body. It was sooo freaking funny, you had to be there to see him. It litterly look like he tackled the fish.
We gave each other high fives and it took both Casey and I too lift it up and over the rocks and up to the bank. 20lbs, 32 inches!! I felt soo bad, cause Todd looked drenched and exhausted. I don't know what I would have done if he wasn't there. It's one of those fishing holes, where you had to have a net or you were pretty much screwed.
We finally got a picture when we got home. That is Todd in the background with the cargo net we used. The whole ride home, Casey and I called him MacGyver. The cargo net is open on both ends. Todd, tied it so was closed on the bottom end, which the made the net a lot smaller than when he held it up. The fish is a lot brighter, it was dark when we got home. so, the picture doesn't do it justice. I gave Todd and his son the fish. They put on the Q a few hours ago.
It was a great day, despite the rain and having to improvise to get our catch. The fish was hatchery, as the Adipose fin was clipped. The water was turning brown as we headed home, with lots of debris. The rain was letting up when we left, so I don't think the river will blow out by any means. We did stop off at the Spruce Tree and talked to about 4-5 fisherman. No one reported a Steelhead caught :depressed: We tried for an hour around the bridge, but no luck.

Good luck and tight lines!

Deja

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Nice fish! :cool: Thank you for the exciting story. I am glad to hear your now bringing in the MacGyver techinques to fishing. I was thinking the pink worm was the only thing you had up your sleeve. :laugh:

Scuba

· Registered
3,586 Posts
I'm surprised you just didn't use your MacGyver utility knife. It has a net and handle already on it. :laugh:

Great story , it will be a great memory for you guys.

True story..... I saw the actor that played MacGyver up in BC a long time ago. He was going fishing and while he was waiting for his bush plane, he was showing one of the crew of the plane this knife called the "MacGyver" Funny thing was is that Macgyver couldn't figure out how to open it. :laugh: Hilarious, he had to hand it over to the sixteen year old kid that loaded the cargo on the plane to get the darn thing opened.

Thanks for the wonderful post.
BCF :clap:

· Registered
4,557 Posts
very nice!! :applause:

we need to hook up Vu and do the wilson or look for some steelhead! P/m me and I will fill you in :dance:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.