IFish Fishing Forum banner
141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Using 3.5 spinners wasn't in my thought process for "baits" for the buoy 10 opener but I can promise you this.... by the start of the next month (after August) I'll definitely be swimming those 3.5's. Actually swimming them in front of baits for the August fish might be worthwhile as well.
I have done this for years using a plastic sleeve on the leader with a spinner blade and 3-5 beads above the head of the whole bait. This works awesome in the ocean when there are light biting coho.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have done this for years using a plastic sleeve on the leader with a spinner blade and 3-5 beads above the head of the whole bait. This works awesome in the ocean when there are light biting coho.
Me to.
Started in the late 90’s with it !
Although I have NOT tied any this year.
Some days those meat and metal rigs out-fishes everything. I normally run them on other peoples rods...
I prefer to roll a herring and or an anchovy with out all the extras for a more Natural look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'm wondering if big tides and higher temps are to blame for the "slow down" on the bite. We had luck fishing the temp breaks which were few defined by slicks which were many. When we were in them they bit hot n heavy, outside....... zero.

·
Registered
42,319 Posts
I don't know the direction of the prevailing ocean current right now but I'd head into it to get up current of the river plume. Or fish deeper than usual to get under it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Crossed a zero visibility bar this morning to a very nice ocean. Started south, then ran up to CR and finished up a nice 4 limits.

Fresh anchovy behind skateboards did quick work for us. We have fresh anchovy and herring daily now. Order ahead at 503-861-2110, or text your order to 971-286-8748.

View attachment 986141
Your wife/partner back at the store is a gem.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Late report from Friday: the fishing is as good as people say it is. Crossed a kinda lumpy bar during the outgoing and deployed gear at 7:30 or so at the CR. Took the better part of 45 minutes to get all the rods deployed, by which time we boated 5 fish. 10th and final keeper hit the box at 10:00 am. Our 9 silvers did seem a tad small - hopefully they fatten up soon. Our 1 chinook was a dandy. Everything got bit, but this was the hottest lure we ran. A Further North Whacko. No flasher.

Grey Tread Fish Fin Fish products

Hand Bird Finger Beak Nail

·
Vendor
6,414 Posts
Late report from Friday: the fishing is as good as people say it is. Crossed a kinda lumpy bar during the outgoing and deployed gear at 7:30 or so at the CR. Took the better part of 45 minutes to get all the rods deployed, by which time we boated 5 fish. 10th and final keeper hit the box at 10:00 am. Our 9 silvers did seem a tad small - hopefully they fatten up soon. Our 1 chinook was a dandy. Everything got bit, but this was the hottest lure we ran. A Further North Whacko. No flasher.

View attachment 986144
View attachment 986143
Think I saw you guys taking out as I was cleaning up the boat. Good to see Andrew back on the water. Great job guys, and those further north lures catch.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Watermelon rind, hoochie behind. Lolol
I know this is for reports but I know you guys can help. And I always contribute to reports this time of year.

Problem is-Pro Trolls in the Ocean. Just cant get the rod to do that "thump" up and down motion. Can do it on the Willamette in slow to no current with 6oz of lead no problem. But cant get them to work in MA1 area.

Too much lead (16oz)? Too slow? Too fast? Going against the current or with it?

DogZilla, BGF, any ideas?

We are catching as many fish as others. We always do. Chovies with helmet. Green flashers.

But I'd sure like to see if things change with the Skateboards.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
725 Posts
They don't bounce the same in the ocean. With the swell up and down and the speed its totally different from the willamette or anywhere else to me anyways. We were using 12 Oz the other day out there and my side rods looked good but my straight out back rods you could barley tell they were working. I just watched the line angle and just trusted they are working correctly. And they were getting hammered!

141 - 160 of 182 Posts