IFish Fishing Forum banner
121 - 140 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I can dig deeper but can anyone confirm Long Beach is open for salmon. Heard something of zone closures to keep chinook quota from getting eaten up. I’ll check salty dogs to. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
124.08 and 46.15 are the numbers. If you're out past buoy 4 on the south and 3 north you're pretty much in the "zone". Watch your numbers as you go out, I think they're pretty much the buoy 10 restriction zone. They don't want us fishing in Chinook water which is typically near shore off Long Beach. You can go further out to deep water and go deep for Chinook. Here's the regulation:
Recreational ocean salmon angling within the Columbia River Ocean Salmon Management Area (Leadbetter Point, Washington to Cape Falcon, Oregon), will close to all salmon angling effective 12:01 AM Saturday, July 16 in the following area: Shoreward of 124D 08.4' W long. and North of 46D 15' N lat.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No update just an observation. On Wednesday I was on P-Dock and three charter boats were returning at 9:00AM. I can only assume they were successful.

·
Registered
620 Posts
124.08 and 46.15 are the numbers. If you're out past buoy 4 on the south and 3 north you're pretty much in the "zone". Watch your numbers as you go out, I think they're pretty much the buoy 10 restriction zone. They don't want us fishing in Chinook water which is typically near shore off Long Beach. You can go further out to deep water and go deep for Chinook. Here's the regulation:
Recreational ocean salmon angling within the Columbia River Ocean Salmon Management Area (Leadbetter Point, Washington to Cape Falcon, Oregon), will close to all salmon angling effective 12:01 AM Saturday, July 16 in the following area: Shoreward of 124D 08.4' W long. and North of 46D 15' N lat.
The closure zone details can be found in the graphic posted here: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/salmon/Regulations/docs/Columbia_Zone_inseason_closure_2022.pdf

The longitude line was listed incorrectly at some locations but has been corrected. The correct line of longitude is 124o 08’ 40” W. long.

Within the Columbia R. Ocean Salmon Management Area Effective July 16, 2022 from Leadbetter Pt. (46o 38’ 10” N lat.) to Columbia River (46o 15’ N lat.) and East of 124o 08’ 40” W. long. closed to all salmon angling.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Question for all you that fish the ocean for chinook. Why not go West and fish deep? If Tule are most commonly caught off the beach, seems like it would be more desirable to try for deeper, better quality fish. Is it an abundance issue? Better off just catching coho and getting off the water?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Question for all you that fish the ocean for chinook. Why not go West and fish deep? If Tule are most commonly caught off the beach, seems like it would be more desirable to try for deeper, better quality fish. Is it an abundance issue? Better off just catching coho and getting off the water?

I've thought a lot about that lately. I think Westport's tactics would work off the CR to catch high quality nooks. Just have to dodge all those pesky coho. :) I have a hard time passing up the coho rodeo, they're delish!

·
Registered
42,319 Posts
Badsmerf: You are correct, to a point. Although they do collect close to shore, it's not as though they don't exist elsewhere. From the reports in years past, the shore bite along Long Beach does die at times yet folks continue to fish there. When boats do venture West, it seems the fishing can be just as bad as the shore bite. Pounding the same water hour after hour with no action isn't fishing, it's a boat ride. Don't drive past fish to fish where they're not. As the first of August rolls around, I wouldn't go much beyond the green line north and right now is worth a try. Will still need to sort through Tule Jacks but there should be some nice larger fish around, if not today, very soon. Won't know if they've showed up unless people fish for them.

·
Vendor
6,414 Posts
We cancelled the early run today because my partner needed to rest for some golf tournament. (Horrible priorities)

After hearing the bite was red hot, he convinced me to go this afternoon. We deployed gear a little after 3 pm and had our 2 limits at 320. Literally bit as fast as we could deploy, and coho chasing hooked coho to the net.

Crazy good fishing right now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We cancelled the early run today because my partner needed to rest for some golf tournament. (Horrible priorities)

After hearing the bite was red hot, he convinced me to go this afternoon. We deployed gear a little after 3 pm and had our 2 limits at 320. Literally bit as fast as we could deploy, and coho chasing hooked coho to the net.

Crazy good fishing right now.
Vicinity of CR? or shallower?

·
Vendor
6,414 Posts
Guys, we have fresh anchovies from Columbia river bait (Ilwaco) for tomorrow. We have a limited amount unreserved on a first come basis, roughly 30 pounds.

The bait is a little bigger than last week, and in really good shape.

Also, we will have fresh tuna from the TNT for sale at the shop tomorrow. $4 a pound in the round.

And we have fresh tuna carcasses for crab bait, as well as fresh tuna belly for anyone still wrapping plugs.

We decided to go out and make the craziest time of year, crazier!

·
Vendor
6,414 Posts
Rectangle Wood Grey Twig Art

Deployed 2 rods at CR at about 6 am, trolled south and done by 7 with some releases.

I guess guys were complaining about the size of the anchovies and not picking up the bait they ordered. Okay. I'll use yours tomorrow.

By the way, how many salmon have died on 3.5 spinners lately?

Eye Insect Human body Arthropod Terrestrial plant

You might wanna figure out how to fish the smaller baits...

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Agree 100% I will take small chovies over large ones everytime. Besides they flat out work and when rigged right your hookup too land ratio goes up with smaller size baits.
Same with using smaller chovies for tuna. Many times they won't even look at a large live anchovy but with go nuts on a dead small one. Plus match the hatch, if they're getting only smaller anchovies and herring, use them. That's what the fish are feeding on in the ocean if that's what's there.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Using 3.5 spinners wasn't in my thought process for "baits" for the buoy 10 opener but I can promise you this.... by the start of the next month (after August) I'll definitely be swimming those 3.5's. Actually swimming them in front of baits for the August fish might be worthwhile as well.

121 - 140 of 182 Posts