IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The "mosquito fleet" had to be WAY north from the CR or close to MA2 from what I heard/saw. It was an all day trip for a few of the charters from what we saw while north of cranberry Saturday. Day two the charters were unseen north...(and we went a LONG way north). I have to imagine (with radio chatter referring to CR buoy) they went south. There were a few flurries noted on a seaweed strewn rip but many were just drowning herring. I think anchovies were the preferred baits but herring worked. From what we saw fish are low high and in between, just keep your eye on the FF. Birds and rip tides were the biggest clues. Water depths fluctuated but "thirty pulls" was most of the answers to how deep they were fishing. My thought is your diver only dives so deep no matter how much line you put out. We used lead and still didn't hit bottom.
Fish checker was less than helpful with counts.....she said "Couldn't say". The day two fish checker said there were quite a few coming in w/limits but "area 1" doesn't designate north or south. We managed to get one both days and both fish were good size. Yesterdays fish (according to fish cop) was the largest of the day. A wild one with NO SMELL unlike day ones fish. LOLOL

·
Registered
658 Posts
I heard that 85% of those fish are Tules, and with that being said, the anticipated totals were a direct factor in tightenening the river retention for most of August. C'mon, August 25th retention, what a joke! Nobody wants to release a 30 pounder in the river in most of August, but that's going to be the case this year.
As was noted at an earlier meeting, "we have a Tule problem".
The "Bonk it" mentality is going to dramatically effect this years fall season, but nobody wants to hear of it!
Just keep buying those licenses boys and girls!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
It was dismal for most. Fish checker at West Basin had 8 salmon total Sunday.

Saturday my guys got seasick, before I found any salmon. We ducked in to the jetty and got our bottom fish and a ling a piece.

Sunday we went south much flatter, had 3 keepers and other missed chances. Still slow for what I was looking for. Fished salmon til 11 or so then got bottom fish.

My social media feeds are lacking any great success pics.

Ocean is not good for a while so I won't have another report till Thursday or Friday I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did ok on Sunday. Caught two rather quickly and bonked them both. Boy was it hot!

Fished Anchovy with a helmet behind a triangle and diver. It was a pleasant day on the water.

I saw a comment above mentioning that 85% of those fish are tules. I’m newer to salmon fishing and havent been able to identify a tule yet. Can anyone tell me if this is a tule or not? No specific smell that I can remember.

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Salmon-like fish

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I did ok on Sunday. Caught two rather quickly and bonked them both. Boy was it hot!

Fished Anchovy with a helmet behind a triangle and diver. It was a pleasant day on the water.

I saw a comment above mentioning that 85% of those fish are tules. I’m newer to salmon fishing and havent been able to identify a tule yet. Can anyone tell me if this is a tule or not? No specific smell that I can remember.

View attachment 983805
Not a tule.

Tules in the ocean now should be fine table far. In 6 weeks not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,328 Posts
From a statistical perspective, HIGHLY likely to be a tule... but you can't really tell from that pic. The only thing that looks remotely tule-esque is the snaggle-toothed grin on that chromer.

Your fillet knife should have given you a definitive answer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From a statistical perspective, HIGHLY likely to be a tule... but you can't really tell from that pic. The only thing that looks remotely tule-esque is the snaggle-toothed grin on that chromer.

As in if it's a pale color?

It was a bright orange/red, so I feel comfortable knowing it wasn't a tule, I guess. :sneaky:

·
Registered
658 Posts

Yup, snaggle tooth.... shortly to looking like prehistoric monster...

·
Registered
575 Posts

View attachment 983805
As the Doc says, tules are dominant Chinook stock off the WA coast so by that would say most likely tule. I can't quite tell from the photo but it looks like it had an adipose fin? If yes, then probably not Tule as nearly all are clipped. In any case, any Chinook is just fine this time of year.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I remember Dad would quit fishing in mid-August as he did not like messing with Tules. In fact, remembering back to the days the West end basin had a drive out plank dock dad would park on one side like a lot of guys did then, and we would go down the ramp to our boat. If he had to park back by the tracks he was always complaining. And boy on those days if some fishing tourist in the afternoon was holding up a Tule for pictures or dragging it down the dock, dad would ask do you have a lot of cats? After either an answer or puzzled look dad would say your fish is barely good for cat food.

·
Registered
42,319 Posts
Spots look like Tule. Where your had is, can't get a good read on the anal fin but it looks like a maybe. I woulda bonked it. Tule's should eat fine this time of year.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I find that tules (a hatchery Chinook) have a Chinook odor. It's that odor that is distinctive the longer in the season it gets. We got a hatchery nook Saturday and it did have that Chinook smell however It cut red and tasted awesome. BTW it was a bright chrome dude w tight scales n sea lice.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Here's a head scratcher comment to consider... if you fish north (you're in ~50' of water) you fish the bottom.
Fishing south (120 - 300') you fish suspended, maybe 25-30'. Where the bait lives?

·
Registered
19,328 Posts
As in if it's a pale color?

It was a bright orange/red, so I feel comfortable knowing it wasn't a tule, I guess. :sneaky:
Pallor by itself doesn’t necessarily mean tule. The universal sign of tule-ness at the cutting table is 2-tone meat.

I had an inkling this platinum ocean king might be a tule when I first caught it, but it’s impossible to tell for sure from the outside on a fish this clean and bright…
Food Seafood Ingredient Fish Staple food

Definitive PROOF was revealed on the cutting table…
Textile Sleeve Creative arts Denim Rectangle

Food Ingredient Fish slice Seafood Cuisine

1 - 20 of 182 Posts