IFish Fishing Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38,071 Posts
We have two subspecies of Bobcat here in Oregon. Dunno how many there actually are overall in N. America? On the West side, maybe on the East too, there is a little, sorta red colored member and a larger yellow/gray version which also lives on the East side. I've seen two of the big ones on the East side and they are much larger than their little red cousin. I suppose they could be mistaken for Lynx as I don't really know how much larger a Lynx would appear? Anyone have some side by side photos? One I observed a large Bobcat through binoculars at not to great a distance as it lay at the mouth of its den where kittens were stashed. It looked like a substantial animal.

I've mentioned this before but I saw what most would agree was a Lynx on the West side over 25 years ago. Didn't get a good look but it was pretty tall, maybe close to two feet at the top of its rump. The only reason I thought it may be a Lynx was the bob tail, color and size. It was over 30 lbs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nov 2004 Succor Creek 2 Lynx

Chuckar hunting with my buddy we flushed 2 lynx down a gully. Not quite sure what they were and Rick had never seen a bobcat so we snuck in on them for a closer look. Huge size, easily bigger than my 85 pound lab, little stub tail, very distinct and large tufts on the ears. We watched them for over half an hour as the male had his nose up her you know what. Totally cool looking animals, it was the highlight of our trip and we talk about that sighting to this day.

I have seen bobcats many times in the Juntura Westfall area, these were no Bobcats. The district bio said no way lynx in the high desert, maybe the Wallowas. I disagree. I carry a camera everywhere now, wish I had one then but glad I had binoculars.
You are aware that the Lynx is a 40 pound creature? Not bigger then a 85 pound lab.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I grew up outside of Dallas in the caostal hills and had a lynx around. My uncle also saw one in the same area.
In the early 80s I was logging in the Mt. Hebo area and spotted one up there. Was not a Bobcat, I am sure and have seen plenty of those...That was not too far from Dallas.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Historic Status and Current Trends in Oregon
Lynx have been documented primarily in the Cascade Range, Blue, and Wallowa Mountains. Museum specimens and county bounty records have also documented lynx in western (Benton and Josephine Counties) and southwestern (Lake and Harney Counties) Oregon. Whether or not lynx historically bred and resided in the State is not known, but data suggest that Oregon did not historically support a resident lynx population. Historical and more recent sightings are likely the result of an occasional lynx dispersing from northern populations, typically due to mass dispersal events as northern hare populations experienced cyclic and dramatic population declines.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Love it when a first post resurrects an old thread.

In the early 80s I was logging in the Mt. Hebo area and spotted one up there. Was not a Bobcat, I am sure and have seen plenty of those...That was not too far from Dallas.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've seen two, One in the Cascades in January and the other in High desert area of Eastern Oregon. Both were pretty decent size, 40-45 lbs with huge feet and the distinktive long hair coming from the ears. Pretty neat seeing them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a couple trail cam videos of what we thought were lynx in the Wenaha from 2019. I will see if I can find and post. see what you think.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Could not find the raw footage, but you can see on of them in this video at 16:12 of the timeline.

Lynx or bobcat? We have video of another about 6 miles from this location that you can see better. I will try to find that one too.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
A few months ago I had a little kitty creature show up on my deck, was about 10-15 pounds at best. At first I thought it was a Lynx, but after comparing it to bobcat images on the internet, I came to the conclusion it was a bobcat. I stepped out to get the below picture, he didn't seem overly concerned about my presence, but slipped under my chicken coop not to be seen again all the same. My place is about midway into Oxbow Park on the bluff above.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
That is indeed a very cool bobcat on your deck.

This couple has 2 as pets...

Wild animals are terrible pets.

My cousin once had an ocelot as a pet. He eventually gave it to a zoo as he did not feel safe sleeping at night with it in his room.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
A few months ago I had a little kitty creature show up on my deck, was about 10-15 pounds at best. At first I thought it was a Lynx, but after comparing it to bobcat images on the internet, I came to the conclusion it was a bobcat. I stepped out to get the below picture, he didn't seem overly concerned about my presence, but slipped under my chicken coop not to be seen again all the same. My place is about midway into Oxbow Park on the bluff above.

View attachment 954857

Bobcat.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Gotta' applaud the bucket biologist, on both sides of this one.
Much bigger than my 85 lb. lab was a favorite !!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts