IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been lurking for a long while on ifish and I guess that it is finally time to break my silence. I understand that a newbie owes the group a story on his first post. So, here it goes.
I grew up in Nebraska amoung the farm ponds and muddy streams, always dreaming of all of the big fish that lived somewhere else.
We were very poor. "How poor were you?" you ask, but thats another story.
Any way, my brother, Steven, and I were out walking around in the winter woods one evening towards sun down. It had been cold but there was very little snow on the ground and we were looking around for something interesting like the couple of young coyote pups we almost were. We came down to this little farm pond that we knew about and after sliding around on the ice for a while started heading for home out the shallow end of the pond. We had just about reached the shore when we look down through 6 inches of clear ice and there was the biggest, badest aquatic beast that we had ever seen. There,three feet long, half as wide, still as a stone in the cold cold water was a huge, older than both of us put together, snapping turtle.
Well, visions of great bowls of turtle soup steaming up kitchen windows filled our heads. Bowls served by beaming mothers and proud fathers who, having seen what great hunters we were, would relent and buy us the bb gun that we had coveted for so long.
We had a plan, I had a pocket knife and brother found a rock and a pretty good size piece of wood. We would chop that turtle out of the ice, throw him up on the bank and let him freeze in the coming dusk. We knew that snapping turtles could be dangerous but hey, we had caught this guy dead to rights, all but trapped under the ice and oblivious to all in his winter torpor. All it would take was a few sweaty minutes and he would be ours.
So we begain to chop and the ice chips flew and the trees around the pond rang with the sound of the blows of stone and wood on ice. We were making pretty good progress and were to the huffing and puffing stage when we decided to take a rest. It was then that we beheld a horrible sight. Some where in that small and oh so cold reptilian brain a thought emerged. All was not right in turtle world. With glacial slowness, almost to slow to follow, the turtle reached out one scaly leg after another and begain inching its way towards deeper water. We were stunned, the prize could be lost, and already during our awe inspired inactivity the turtle had moved from under the hole until only his tail was within reach. Only one thing to do. "Chop!" I yelled and plunged my hand into the icy water and grabbed the turtle by the tail.
Thus begain a tug of war of epic proportions. Steven chopped, the turtle pulled and I held on. Now it is hard to get and 18" turtle out of a 6" hole or a 12" hole or even a 171/2" hole. Steven chopped valiently but I was up to my elbow in icy water and while the turtle was warming to his task of escape I was cooling to mine. The hole got bigger, the turtle got deeper and I got colder, so cold that I could see I had hold of the turtle but not feel his scaly tail. And so it was when after many cold minutes I could see that I no longer had hold of the turtle tail and I could see it slide out of sight into the mud churned water and I could see that it was dark and time to go home empty handed.
We trudged home in the gloom but the house was brightly lit and our mother was beaming and our father was proud and they ask us "What did you do in the woods today?" and we said "Nothing" and "See anything interesting?" and we said "No." And my mother said "Well, come on into dinner, we are having Spam and potatoes." And so we did and were greatful for it.

And that is my story, not a fishing story exactly but one about the first of many that got away.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
welcome aboard, thanks for the story and you are lucky that thing didnt take your finger off. the things we do when we are young.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Great Story!
Shows you can be poor and rich at the same time....so many kids these days have no experiences-adventures to relate to other than the Po Ke Mon cards they saw at the mall one day....

Kurt

·
Registered
62 Posts
NEBRASKA, heck a friend and I went scuba diving in a flooded corn feild in Nebraska. ran head long into a snapping turtle. we were about 2 feet under. scared me half to death. my buddy shot him with a spear gun. was some good eats. real good.
great story

·
Administrator
41,346 Posts
Good story, well told! Welcome!

I remember meeting up with a snapper when I was a kid. My dad took the family on a pike fishing vacation in Ontario, mainly casting dare-devil spoons off the bank. Near our camp I suspected there were a lot of lost spoons in the rocks, near where I'd lost a couple. One afternoon I decided to swim down and retreive a few. I was probably 8 to 10 feet under when I came face to face with what looked to me at the time like a dinosaur ... worm-like apendage wiggling on it's tongue. My mom says I flew out of the water backwards, like watching a moving of someone diving into the water in reverse. Scared the daylights out of me!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Great story. I hope you have some fingers left on that hand. :grin:

Welcome aboard!! :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts