IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just was wanting to know if there is any amount of steelhead in the lower river from gold beach to agness this time of year. talked the wife into spending our 12th anniversary down there. am dragging the jetboat down there also,no i don't want to fish the tidewater for kings yet. any info greatly appreciated. :smile:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
wambam,
I hit a couple half pounders over the 4th weekend. I heard it was better this week. Its definitely worth trying.

RF

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is a good setup on half-pounders, thanx rougefisher

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I got a couple on my fly rod and the others were using spinners (Panther Martin). Darker colors were working better that day (black ones). Nightcrawlers will also work good fished under a small corkie.

Good luck!

RF

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I'll echo RogueFishr. Half a night crawler hung below a small corkie is deadly. My all-time favorite is a size 10 Double-hook Red Ant fished down and across. I caught 26 one evening at Cole Riffle with that fly. A deadly setup is a 3/8 Oz Panther Martin spinner fished with a slow retrieve.

From your jetboat fish the edges and breaks above the riffles. Don't ignore the slower water a few yards above the break. The night crawler will be deadly in the riffles and in the deeper slots

[ 07-13-2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]

·
Registered
971 Posts
It would be nice if people fished the half-pounders with barbless single hooks, no bait, to minimize unnecessary mortality on the half pounders. We want to catch them as adults later in life.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Floatnfish ODFW has done countless tests with just that in mind. And contrary to what one would think,there is no data to support that idea. The handling of your catch is much more important,ie. don't touch or net the fish. Also hook size plays a part.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was in the Agness area on Saturday. I saw several fly-fisherman in the area just below where the Illinois River dumps into the Rogue. I asked some folks that had been flyfishing how they did and they said OK. Just a few fish and both guys said darker flies under an indicator. Best in the evening.

I'll be there every weekend beginning July 25th. We're staying at the Agness RV Park.

I'm loking forward to taking my 5 weight Sage rod and using some fly's I've tied to catch the half-pounders.

Maybe see you there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts