IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some ideas for this weekend. I am thinking about putting in around Westport or someplace like that and doing some island camping and steelhead fishing. Since I have never run around in the lower part of the river (except for Astoria). I have no idea where to start looking. Not asking for any specific spots (unless you want to give a few to me) but general areas. I pretty much got the fishing tech down. What types of devices do you use to moor the boat when island camping?

Emails welcome.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Ok tanner, don't seem to be getting much help here so I'll try. I've spent time on the river tween St Helens Astoria, but we were always anchored up and staying in the boat not beach camping. Don't know the area down around westport very well either.

So... the tides going to mess with you trying to beach and camp. Don't know what kinda boat you have, but the swings can either float you free or ground you hard depending on when you land.
If you don't mind a swim, drop the gear/wife/kids etc off then pull the boat back out and anchor it up. Swim/wade back to the shore etc. I'd tie off to a good solid tree or stump as well as drop the anchor for the night. SOP is to drop the anchor out the stern, pull a rope from the bow in to shore. That keeps the prop out in the deeper water and keeps the boat from swinging around with the wind and tide. You get a free bath in the am when you swim back out to get the boat too. Make sure you use biodegradable soap!
If you can find a really steep drop off you won't have to worry about all this and can just tie the bow off at the shore. Check the tide book so you know when you pull up which way it's going to go and approx what the swing is and when. I'd guess Wesport is about 50% of what the book says the swing will be.
Get off of the main channel if at all possible. Ships going by in the middle of the night will wake the boat and sometimes suck the water right out from under the boat (course, it WILL come crashing back in).
Anyplace you want to camp will be a nice sandy beach anyway so worst case is the boat sticks in the sand until the tide comes back up. I guess the worst case is it floats away but that's why the line to a tree.
I don't have a chart at home so can't really help you on a spot. Check the chart for steep drops out of the main channel then just run around and check em out until you find a nice sandy camping spot. :cheers:
PS- Watch out for the really tall steep sandy cliffs. Some kids got burried digging a little camping cave in one a few years back.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know that area of the LC at all, but have an anchoring suggestion: Buy an Anchor Buddy. It's basically a big bungee cord you attach your anchor to your bow (or stern) with. You then attach a second rope to your stern, and tie this off to a tree on the shore. Anchor your boat out far enough to keep it off the beach during low tide, and "stretch" it back when you need to retrieve it. Some people attach the Anchor Buddy to the stern and tie the bow off, but some of the tugboat and ship wakes can come over your stern this way. You can pick one up for about $25. You'll need 100 - 200' of rope to tie the boat to shore.

I island camp around the Longview area several times each summer, and the only problems I have run into anchoring this way is debris floating downstream getting tangled in one of the ropes. I've witnessed other boats that were just tied to the beach get swamped by a passing ship wake, and get pounded so hard on the beach that I was certain their hull was going to crack.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I decided not to go island campinbg this weekend but I will definitely keep all these things in mind as it is something I want to do this summer.

Thanks again

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
Tanner, PC is right on, be VERY aware of the ships wakes, the waves can vary from ship to ship, with the tides and the direction the ships are going....that being said, river camping is fun. You are right there on the river, you can catch Pike minnows from the beach between tides and you get to spend a lot of time on the river!!

Another tip: I try to moor my boat as far from shore as I can using the anchor buddy AND wading. I also try to moor below a wing dam so it can catch the debris the in always in the river.

I'll be out there this summer....Flat Bottomed sled that says "Wreckless" on the side, stop by!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts