IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for the experienced salmon fisherpersons out there:

There is a low pressure weather front predicted for next week. What is your opinion on how this will affect the salmon bite in the following situations:

Columbia River
Ocean outside of the bays eg Tillamook south jetty
Tillamook Bay
Nehalem Bay

Or, in your experience, at this stage of the fall salmon run, what is your prediction of the effect of low pressure fronts, possible rain, temperature drop next week?

Or does it even matter?

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
For the Columbia, I don't like fishing during the barometric flux; once it stabilizes whether high or low the fishing improves.

Over the years, each time I've gotten excited about some cloudy weather thinking it will improve the bite, it hasn't happened for me. All in all, for fall Columbia chinook we've done best during stable high pressure with sunny days (and no gill nets).

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was watching the news, I think it was channel 12, a couple of weeks ago. The weather man was talking about the low pressure system coming in and this is what he said.

It is a proven fact that low preasure systems make fish bite more. The low pressure effects thier air bladder so they are closer to the surface and triggering urge to eat.

This is not a direct quote but that is pretty much what he said.

I have no idea if this is true or not just stating what the weather man said.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Low pressure or not-----I'm banking on cooler water to improve the bite!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts