IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were fishing a hog line just below Chinook Landing today. Things started off really fast. Fishchaser fishing with me had a 25 pounder in the boat by 6:30 this morning. By 7:00 there were 5 fish taken in the line. At 7:15 we watched this gillnetter coming up river. He pulled up about 100 yards to the side of us. He proceeded to let out his net. As he was floating downstream he pulled his net almost all the way across the river below us. He then drifted with the Gillnet all the way down along Government Island. When he got done with his set he headed up river and we never saw him again. I can't help but wonder if he only did this just to make us mad (or something to that effect). :mad:

Needless to say there were no more fish touched in the line for the rest of the day.

I know they can fish pretty much where they want but I feel this was unjustified.

Some day I hope we can finally get gillnets banned.

[ 09-22-2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
You should have got his number off the boat and called him in. There's hundreds of miles of Columbia, and he chooses 100 yards and pulled them almost all the way cross downstream? That's pretty bold. I'm surprised no one went over and "moved" his nets. Thankfully, though people remained cool it sounds like and didn't risk it.

SKP

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
A fellow hog line fisher was anchored off the wall above the sand on Gov. Is. He was spending the night in his new TJ,well after dark along comes a gillnetter. Pulls up to my buddy and says your right in the middle of a good hole. Buddy says ya that's why I'am anchored here. Netter says move your boat,my buddy says **** *** fish somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Years ago(35)my dad use to fish the Skagit River
when the indians would come up and drop their nets behind the guys they would cut up bales of hay and that would drift down and fill up their nets they didn't do that again cus it took them a couple days to get that wet straw out of their nets
.These gillnetters down here carry guns don't know if I'd want to try that always wanted to tho. :grin:
Bob

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
So where do you suggest they work? It looks to me thay many of the "Good Holes" have sport fisherman anchored in them.

The mentality of most sporties appears to be" No matter where they are at, gillnetters are wrong". If you had been yelled at by every yahoo in a sled for 2 miles, would you ask "Hey Fellas. Mind if I set up here?" Neither would I.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
So "first come" doesn't apply to gillnetters? :whazzup: Sorry, I don't buy it.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Flatfish,poor misunderstood gillnetters and everybodys pickin on them. Maybe endangered species status should be the next step. That way whenever a gillnet season is given all other boats must leave the river.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
In my opinion, where ever gillnetters work in the Columbia River is wrong. Just because they are allowed to do it doesn't mean I have to like it, which I don't.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hogtide and I had that same thing happen to us while springer fishing up by Frenchmans earlier this year. Really ticked me off - but there's nothing illegal or "reportable" about it. They put their net there for a reason - because there's fish there.

I never see gillnetters at the ramps cussing the sports, but have seen it the other way around plenty of times. So, if they did do it just to tick you guys off - that's probably why.

They really shouldn't let the netters in during the daylight though - confrontation is inevitable, but on the bright side, they have a heck of a time catching fish during the daylight - their numbers go up 10 fold after dark when the fish can't see the mesh. Did you see them reel in any fish or were they too far down river?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Well I am a firm believer in first come first serve. I know if I was anchored outside of the channel, and if anyone asked me to leave so they could fish there I would let them know where they could take it.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
This may be a way for the sportfisherman to protest the gillnet fishery. Start camping out in our boats. A few boats anchored here and there would really congest the river for gillnetters. It's legal and fun,plus your asured a good spot in the hog line the next day.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
i agree with freespool. legally, we have a right to be on the river, no matter what the time. "first come, first serve" applies to both sides. as long as we are out of the main shipping channel, what can they say????? sure there will always be conflict between sportsman and gillnetters, but such is life.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I like the idea of droping hay over the side, but who :whazzup: is going to carry hay in their
boat just in case they have a run in with a gilnetter. could be a little messy :laugh:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Is it illegal to dump hay into the CR?? Does anybody know where the gill netters prefer to fish? Not like I have a supply of hay bales & a flat bed ford or anything. Just asking

Full Freezer

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm willing to bet that dumping hay bales into the Columbia with the intent to damage property (nets) or hinder the normal course of trade (commercial fishing) is illegal. Not wrong in my mind, but probably illegal.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I hate it when that happens!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Maybe ya'll should low hole him back and use something on your lines known to scare fish away!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts