Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding what to get: The Savage 16fhss or Tika T3 Lite in a .243
They are both Price comparable @ $500
Weight: The Tika T3 is lighter (.5 lbs.) 6.75/6.25
Looks: The Savage is more appealing.

Accuracy: ?
Reliability: ?
Quality: ?

I will be using the rifle for Yotes and possible small deer in Norther California.
Lots of trekking.
Anyone owning these rifle with opinions are greatly appreciated:

· Registered
3,060 Posts
I've posted before about my T3 Lite in .243. I love it. Very accurate and easy handling. I bought it for the exact same use you've described. I had a Savage 12FV that I used for yotes before that. The heavy barrel made it very unwieldy and the action was very stiff and it fed poorly. I'd say definitely go with the Tikka.

· Banned
862 Posts
I dont know anything about Tikka, but I don't imagine I'll ever want to replace my Savage weather warrior SS 7mm rem mag

I've had it for 6-7 years in every weather condition imaginable. Never misfired, never had a mechanical problem, the action is smooth as can be and it shoots where ya aim it every time. Its light, and nothing has ever come loose. I honestly can see no reason to ever replace this rifle and I dont have to baby it, as it's not a small fortune to replace. (actually $500 is a lot, but not comparibly) I have dropped it in the mud where it slid down into a creek. (it was me or the rifle..but I did obvioulsy end up in the creek anyway) I just ran a string with a hunk of shirt through the barrel to clean that out, and shot a 450lb black bear a little while afterwards (hour or so) without issue:crazy:

I've had multiple rifles over the last 35 years, and I like this one the most.
(although it has a ways to go to outlast my Marlin 81 which still works and shoots perfect, I've had it 35 years and my father did for 35 before that!)

Keep in mind I REALLY clean and lube my rifles everytime I shoot them or have them out in the sticks so they do tend to last a long time.

If anything does happen to it, I'll buy another in a second.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Both great guns. I have the Tikka T3 lite in .243, and it is a definate shooter even with factory ammo. The trigger on the T3 is also great right out of the box. The only bad thing I would say about it is the factory scope rings that come with the gun need to be traded out.

· Registered
729 Posts
Neither are "bad" hunting rifles even at the lower end...I would lean to the "TIKKA"...mainly because it is built by SAKO and they are a top notch rifle maker, even their lower line is better than the top lines of other makers. Now I just bought this for my grandson he will start hunting next year

It is a Howa Lightning Rifle in .243 Win. And yes, they are a very accurate rifle, Howa built the weatherby vanguards . you can get one of these for approx 399.00-425.00 These are pics of a 300 Mag...243 would be idenical just shorter barrel.

· Registered
281 Posts
If you just pick a Tikka and work the action once you will know whitch one to buy. (smoth as butta)
I have had mine for 2 years now and havent ever shoot annything as acurate right out of the box, even with the supplyed scope rings.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Tikka all the way. But, I am biased since I am trying to sell one in 300WSM:DThe Savage is 'good for the money', but the Tikka on the other hand is a downright bargain. The action is super slick, nice free floated barrel(SAKO), and the trigger is super sweet. The Savage Accutrigger is nice, but the Tikka is even better.

If you are interested in a bigger caliber, I am selling my as-new T3 Lite in stainless with a new Nikon 4-12x Monarch, new Warne rings (some of the best rings IMHO), and a Limbsaver precision pad installed for $650. The rifle has about 100 rounds thru it and it shoots really well. I got a 3" group at 300 yards with it the first time I shot it, and with the recoil pad, 25 rounds is not painful and no more bruises!

· Registered
2,320 Posts
Tikka is a low end gun ? Gee I wish I knew b4 I bought the 30-06 in laminated stainless and started shooting sub 1" groups at 200yd within 50 rds.:shrug: I found that gun from a dealer on the west coast for around $650. MSRP closer to $900.

For bigger calibers - I'd go with the wood stocks and limbsavers. The synthetic will be fine for 243s and such.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
I've had my Savage 116 Weather Warrior in .270 for almost 10 years, and have been nothing but impressed! It was a tack driver right out of the box and has never failed me. I've shot everything from antelope to a 31" Muley with it. 130 gr. ballistic tips and 140 gr. Accubonds both shoot awesome groups out of mine. I have never shot a Tikka so no opinion on them.

· Registered
193 Posts
if your not stuck on a bolt action I would take a look at a T/C encore. I have one in 243 and boy talk about light and short It works grate for steep hard hunting conditions. but if I wanted a bolt action I would go with the T3

· Registered
7,034 Posts
I have a T3 270 WSM SS and a Savage .243 in the blued version and I really like both guns. Tika action is a little smoother in my opinion, but I really like popping rounds through the .243 and it is very accurate also. Haven't messed with the accutrigger yet. Just kept it at the factory setting. Nice and crisp pull.

You really will be happy with either choice. Great guns for the price!

· Registered
3,410 Posts
I have a pair of Tikka's - bought them on Snit's recommendation. Both Stainless/synthetic. One in .270WSM and a T3 lite in .243. Killed elk and deer with them both last year (and a pig and an antelope). After killing his nice mule deer buck with my .270WSM Tikka, my Dad bought one, and then after seeing me drop my muley at 385 yards with my .243 Tikka, he bought the Savage in .243. :shrug:

He loves the Savage - and I've heard excellent things about them. Would try one in a heartbeat, but the Tikka's are doing very good by me so far.

The 85 gr. Barnes triple shock at 3300 fps (handloaded in Nosler custom brass) is an awesome mule deer/antelope bullet in the .243. My Tikka shoots clover leafs at 100 yards with them all day long.

· Registered
1,684 Posts
Both can/are excellent rifles regardless of the price point. Get the Savage if you like the ability to swap barrels/calibers at home without the need for a gunsmith or expensive tools. I own 2 short and 1 long action Savage rifles with multiple barrels for each. I'm currently converting my long action from 25.06 to .375 RUGER.

Send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.