IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone fished this lake? We will be there Friday - Sunday. What should I bring along for bait? We plan to rent a row boat (no motors allowed on lake) and get out deep into the water.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Which one? I know of three with in several hours of Portland.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If this Lost Lake is the one on the northeast side of Mt. Hood, use any normal trout gear. If there is anything special they are hitting on you can find out at the store where you rent boats.
At times some nice trout come out of there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Baskett,

There are some very nice sized trout out there. We were flyfishing in the shallows and had a lot of luck and fun last year. Get a rowboat or canoe and go trolling ford fenders (more blades the better) down deep for the larger rainbows (50-60 feet).

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you get going fast enough on the lake rowing to troll for these fish. From what I understand they dont allow motors on the water.

Ill definitly give it a try.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
You will have a blast. We fished spruce flies just trolling them behing the boat at a pretty slow pace and we caught some really nice reds sides up there a couple of years ago. We also did well fish from float tubes about 30-40 yards off the bank casting BIG dries back toward the bank. That lake has a huge mayfly hatch and big dries that look at all similar work great and they are fun to fish.

Good luck,

Dan(ger)

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
We found some decent trout at the south end of the lake right below Mt Hood plunking power bait.

Don't forget to take the crawdad traps. The lakes loaded.

have fun !!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I know of several big fish caught casting roostertails in the shallow area in front of the little A-frame. Anchor at the edge of the drop off and hold on!

You can always use flatfish, hotshots, flies for trolling with oars down deep. I avoid the laketroll thing, so I can use ultra-light gear and a couple/three split shots real slow..

There's supposed to be big browns in there also. Only caught a 16 incher myself but quite a few big rainbows- just be confident and persistent- you'll get one!

Lost Lake- the MOST SCENIC LAKE EVER! AWESOME!

[ 07-21-2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: trollin4trout ]

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Haven't used the campgrounds. Catch and release is up to the person fishing. I've released at least 4 rainbows over 20" myself, hopefully you'll do the same for me and they'll all be bigger next time we go!

The wind is never at your back at Lost Lake. It will turn around every time you get to the other side!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts