IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was my fault, reached for the net from the holder on the out side of hardtop and didn't realize the bag was hooked on my reel in the corner rocket launcher and just like that, I threw my favorite rig overboard, for a brief second I almost went in after it as I couldn't scoop it with the net.:sick:
I have been running an Ugly Stik (of which I have two left) but the reel, although old was a Penn 114HLW and I had it set up with the poor man's electric reel stud so my drill helps out on bait checks.
It was old when I got it sooo many years ago as it was American made but the graphite spool held a crazy amount of line, it was also a tuna troller.
Thinking about upgrading to something current and looking to see what you guys favor and why, not ready for an electric and thinking about a two speed, thoughts?

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Late report but speaking of Friday we went to the pile and had no bites on 3 rods for 3 hours for butts, heard the radio bite for coho off seal rock and ran in and put 3 coho in the box in about 10 minutes (or less) took all of about an hour to get our 6 fish so thanks again for the call out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I fished with a two speed Penn in Alaska this summer… really liked it… that said… if I was buying a non electric reel it would be a Shimano Tekota 700… have used these for years on halibut and oversized sturgeon…… I priced out the two speeds… for that money and a bit more, I could get an electric Diawa … I have two of those and they are great… unless you need it now; I would watch for end of season sales…

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Another vote for the tekotas, have a few of them we used prior to going electric a few seasons ago.

If you want something that is two speed and could still double as a tuna troll reel, look at the 2 speed TLDs. A size 20 would probably do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I'm wondering if it is resting with mine that a friend threw over two weeks before. North end of pile, a tiger stick and a Penn reel with a ton of line on it. Can't get those rods out of the Folbe rod holders on a regular day but this time he bumped the rod handle up with his head while undoing a halibut and away the rod went. Happened so fast we just watched as it sank and my heart sunk as did his. He has since replaced it against my wish but the new one is now his halibut and tuna rod when out fishing.
A good Penn is hard to beat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So it was my fault, reached for the net from the holder on the out side of hardtop and didn't realize the bag was hooked on my reel in the corner rocket launcher and just like that, I threw my favorite rig overboard, for a brief second I almost went in after it as I couldn't scoop it with the net.:sick:
I have been running an Ugly Stik (of which I have two left) but the reel, although old was a Penn 114HLW and I had it set up with the poor man's electric reel stud so my drill helps out on bait checks.
It was old when I got it sooo many years ago as it was American made but the graphite spool held a crazy amount of line, it was also a tuna troller.
Thinking about upgrading to something current and looking to see what you guys favor and why, not ready for an electric and thinking about a two speed, thoughts?

Thanks, Bill
For halibut, Electric Tanacom no doubt. I absolutely love mine

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after looking through the garage I see I still have a 330 Penn and two Penn 113 senators, and a regular 114 so I think I'll use one of those for the rest of this season and just ask for gift cards from the local sporting goods store and see what I can do over the winter.

I did look and I think Shimano might have dropped the Tekota? I see the TLD's but could not find the 700 or 800 so those might be the new CL finds....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Buy a used Shimno TLD 20 2 speed and install the Tani upgrades

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Honestly the penn senator is a goid halibut reel. I also like Avets. Alll my tuna salmon and halibut reels are Avets. American made. No issues with any I have had and I own about 6-7 of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another vote for Electric Tanacom, its nice not being worn out from checking bait or pulling up to move spots by the time you actually hook a fish.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Just get another 114. They are cheap. I probably have a couple in the garage that were used at the most 2 times. Won a couple over the years, looking at eBay, they are proud of them.

oops. I realize have the 113h. Which are 4/0.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Success rate goes up having an election iMO. Willing to check bait more often. Quicker over all for reel up. More time in the water. More chases to catch fish. Great for LL too. If you dont got with an electric, go with a 2 speed, like Penn 30, 30w or something comparable. You can find a used one reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My Penn Fathom 40NLD2 moves a lot of line.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
One more for the Penn 114, (with drag upgrade and stud for drill motor). My old 114 is out there decade after decade, with very little maintenance and zero failures. It is even my favorite tuna troll reel. No need to slow down. Fish on, just leave rod in the holder, cinch down the drag until line stops going out and wait for it to skid on top. Much easier to skid the fish in and the other gear continues fishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts