IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We shrimpers have learned the hard way!

Use a longer line and clip a weight on it to keep it down. Tie wrap more lead in the bottom. We use halibut or rock cod sinkers.

Yeah, it makes it harder to pull the pots. But honestly, don't most folks need a little more exercise? :grin:

Double up on the buoys. They are cheap insurance! :smile:

G

·
C&E,
Build a three prong grappling hook and keep it in the boat when crabbing. When your floats disappear drag the hook cross current and try to catch your line.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Listen to your AuntyM guys! :grin: Big floats are good but you GOTTA put a ton (well maybe a 1/2 ton) of weight in the pot as well. Big floats will pick a light pot right up off the bottom when the currents ripping. I use double floats with a small tag off them and a small float and add about 8 lbs of lead to my already heavy (rebar type) pots. If the main floats do get sucked under by the current (or the rope gets seaweed hung on it :mad: ) often you can see the little float and get the tag line up. As long as the pot doesn't float away with the tide the floats will come back up and you can recover them.

Of course the best policy is to time your crabbing so you will always have a slack period before you have to get off the water(D-oh Bernie! :grin: :wink: ). I know, I'm an expert! I've had to "go back" the next day several times on my pots or somebody elses. :hoboy:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hey C&E,

You might have had a close encounter with the Great Green Seaweed Monster, first shown in one of the “Lost in Space” TV episodes. You remember the two headed monster that trapped Will Robinson and made you bite your finger nails. :shocked: :shocked:
MuuuuHaHaHa

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by Keta:
C&E,
Build a three prong grappling hook and keep it in the boat when crabbing. When your floats disappear drag the hook cross current and try to catch your line.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Works when those big Hog Chinook aren't biting too! :grin:
:hoboy:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I lost a pot in that area but got it back at low slack. The rope must have caught 50 lbs of seaweed, and there was a bunch of other floats in the same area that were submerged a few inches below the surface.
It was getting dark when I recovered my pot, and while we were pulling my other pots a little farther east we noticed a guy by himself in a center console sled pulling up near the submerged floats. He proceeded to sit there without doing anything. It looked a little suspicious, and so we decided to watch him for a while. We sat there staring at each other for about 20 minutes until it started to get really dark, and we had to head back across the bay. He was still sitting there when we lost sight of him.
I figured he was either recovering lost pots for one of the rental outfits, or he was stealing pots that he could claim were "lost".
If he was working for a rental place I don't know why he would wait until we were gone before he pulled them. We were the only boats in sight on the lower bay, so maybe he was making sure nobody else was coming after them. The whole thing was a little fishy, and would explain why most people don't get their pots back if they leave them overnight.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Lee, I did think about it.

My fault totally. The floats I had were insuficiant and I did not weight my pots down.
I had crabbed there before and did not have any trouble at all. Matter of fact I had left them out all night long and came back to full pots. Only got away with it once.

Lesson learned.

Skipper, I remember that episode. Funny you should mention it. I loved that show.

What ticks me off the most is that crabs are dying in those traps instead of my crab cooker. I hate to see them wasted. Maybe they will grow before next weekend. :depressed:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Bernie- don't sweat the crabs, they died quickly in boiling water, somebody "salvaged" your crab and pots by now I'm sure. :depressed:

[ 10-27-2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I hope you get your pots back. I crabbed Saturday, put two pots in Lysters corner and two along the south jetty and went fishing. Wound up by Lyster's and pulled the two pots and got eight crabs, went back to fishing. Later on we pulled the same two pots and got four more, went over and pulled the two by the south jetty and they were empty and all the bait was gone. I didnt see anyone rob them but I really suspect that's what happened.

myles

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Why would somebody take the bait out if they were stealing crabs? Takes extra time and it's always messy. I've heard this a lot and would offer another theory. Crabs can and do get out of those pots in a hurry of there's no bait left. I dunno how they do it but no bait= no crab and fast. I'm pretty sure a little one holds the door open and then all the big ones just swim out. :grin:

Nothin' like little teamwork! :bowdown:

I dunno but I have a real hard time believing a thief would bother with stripping the bait out. :hoboy:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Mel, what are you smokin'? You're trying to say that crab have intelligence? :whazzup:

I think its time for an experiment. Wish I had a Auqua-Vu camera. I'd sit on anchor in a crab hole with a pot down, and watch what happens when the bait is gone. :shrug:

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I'm sure they only have enough intelligence to know when dinners over it's time to leave the table. I just think those doors aren't that hard to open and in fact probably stick open more than we would like them to. When there's bait in the pot they got no reason to go anywhere. No bait... see ya!
I've heard this said SO many times. (bait gone and no crab= somebody stripped my pots). It's usually the same story where one or two pots were clean and the rest had crab and bait left.
I just never could figure out why a crab thief would bother to take old used stinky crab bait out of a pot before they throw it back down.
It would be kinda like having a burglar at your house do the dishes and vacuum the carpet while he was there dontcha think?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
This was a big tide swing weekend. Why were you crabbing at high slack? You would be pulling your pots on an outgoing tide which would build to an extremely strong current headed back to sea.

When this happens you have a great opportunity to lose pots. You should be crabbing at low slack and check your pots on the incoming tide. It's also safer to crab an incoming tide if you are in the jaws area in case you have motor trouble.

I always crab the incoming tide and we usually have good success.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Salmon fishing was slow and I wanted a few crab to take home. Current is not usually a huge issue in the harbor. Like you said it was a big tide change and I am a rookie crabber. That's why. Live and learn. Guess I just was not as professional as you this time. I'm a crabber

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Mel,

What Smily did and I followed was to buy a roll of pencil lead and wrap 10" around one of the vertical members of each door, to help keep the doors down in case of current. I think it helps.

I have also heard of zip tying two of the doors closed.

I have to admit that I have jumped too soon to the conclusion of theft.

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
you can also add rebar to the bottoms of the pots, that can help. The longer ropes really helps, makes a huge difference. I use two floats also, the standard large bullet folat and a smaller one with 6 feet of floating poly rope. The seaweed probably dragged the boay down.
Sorry to hear about the lost traps, hopefully some good soul will return them.
GBS

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've gotta go with Mel on this one.

Many times, my pots have come up empty. (Yours too?) Passengers on my boat at these times are quick to add, "We've been robbed!" :shocked:

If it is thieves stealing these crabs, there must be a huge gang of them with all the empty pots I've heard about. And, who are these guys? Why are they never caught? I've heard hundreds of accusations about crab thievery on ifish and I've never heard a report of someone actually catching a thief in the process. You would think it would happen at least once. :mad:

I'll bet you would also find that the thieves only target Danielson pots, too. The more expensive rebar pots with the strong springs on the doors seem to seldom get robbed. Whudupwiddat? :shrug:

I'm no expert on the subject but I'm thinking these dang crabs are exiting the scene of the crime before us :blush: "cops" get there.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hit some garage sales and buy some of the barbell weights that come with the inexpensive weight lifting sets. I have plastic ones, filled with concrete. I wire em in the bottom of my old green Danielson pots and they have quit moving around on their own,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yes crab can/will get out of pots or traps if the bait is gone. :shocked: They is pretty good with them there claws!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts