IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fishing for oversized sturgeon just up river of the fishery Tuesday in very fast water.
We released anchor to chase a fish. Much to our dismay the ball and float of our anchor system went under and never came back up we searched for hours but it never popped back up. So if anyone happens across it please email me . It is a foldable anchor with black zip locks on the chain , 300 ft of black and white rope , a orange #3 ball and a orange crab float .

N

·
0 Posts
Maybe some help for anyone to avoid this in the future and still catch fish up there. Hope you get it all back. Has happend to a bunch of us over time. :depressed:

This scenario is also dangerous when the water drops a bit and everything is just barely under water for someone blasting through the area and not knowing the hazard(s) is/are there, until someone's prop seizes up with it all wraped up in it. :shocked:

Heads up!

Look Here

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
I would think it would be easy to find the float with a a fish finder? Now getting it back up is another trick,,,,use another anchor to catch the rope/ball?

gus

·
Administrator
41,346 Posts
I know some folks will return to the area where they were and troll for their anchor line. Potentially dangerous stuff to get it up and cleated off again, but it's possible if you have a well coordinated team.

All this underscores the importance of being well equipped and ready for the conditions. Please be prepared and safe - the Gorge is a dangerous place!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can understand the big ball going under, but what about the small bouy floot ball at the end of the tag line? Will that get sucked under too?
And will they come up with the tide change? Evertime I go up near bonnavile the power of the water there make me very nevious. :shocked:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
as one of the few apparently that have gone trolling for anchor line it is not easy by any means.
Let me start it with the whole story.

SO we did the shad thing in the AM and were ready to hit the bigguns... set anchor here. guy on the bow (not me) says not much rope left want i should throw the bouy now? Yeah throw it and see if we stick. by the time the bouy is thrown and the tag end should be on the cleat the fella has not enough rope to do anything with so I say " just let go and we'll swing around and grab it"

as we back off I watch my ball and tagline go under and not come back up. Brand new anchor and puller with borrowed line...

I had a very good idea where we set so I decided to set up the largest pole with the largest weight on board and hooks, big hooks. started upriver of the afore mentioned last known spot and trolled down and sideways with the current to do my best to keep the weight at mid water and hopefully not grab the rope too close to the anchor. took about 2 hours for the whole recovery effort to pan out but in the end we hit success. It does take lots of teamwork and strong backs and arms and someone very skilled in handling their boat in the current..

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I've pulled up at least 5 complete anchor systems at Bonne over the years (not yours- haven't fished there in bout 7 years). Some were caught in our anchor and one I believe we hooked with a line. The others "popped" up when the dam slacked and/or the tide changed and an eddie/swirl went away or formed.
In every case the anchor had a small (like 10-12") ball on it.
I have never lost one but have always run a large 20" ball as the main and put a small 12" on the end for the "throw and pickup" ball. :smile:
No doubt about it, big balls are a good thing to have at the dam! :grin: :cheers:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
Try these bouys: LD series Polyform

They are smaller than the A-series and they work well. We use them for setting our longlines. We first used them in the free-flowing are of Hanford reach and have used them ever since because they work so well.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Pilar -you can get a small bike tire pump (one of the little hand held jobs) and a needle and deflate those balls for storage. Re-inflating is good exercise for TUNA season! One pump, two pump, three pump, four! :dance:

·
Registered
154 Posts
fish'n'chip

I was out on monday and found 5 systems in the river.we were on the river at 4:45 so I sure that
they were left from days previous to monday most of them were just above the fishery and 2 others that we passed were just below the deadline by beacon rock. the water is droping and just like every year at this time it is like an easter egg hunt.every few days a few more pop up. Yes one was
orange and it was just up from the fishery. hope you are able to get it back.

·
Administrator
41,346 Posts
STG, the potential issue I see with the LD buoys is they may not provide enough drag when it's time to use the retreiver. Most anchor systems have a one-way clincher attached to the ball and it's drag on the water that pulls the rope and anchor up from the bottom.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Great post! This maybe a given and most will probably roll eyes but just dont forget to write on your buoy your name and number and address, because most people are honest and will return it to you. Just a thought.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
Pete: I think they would work fine for a puller. There is still mass to pull against. Just a warning though. They are better than the A series but are not unsinkable.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you get a good anchor and enough rope, you don't need to use chain usually from what I have found. We have 350ft of rope and no chain and have always been able to anchor up fine. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I thought I had a big ball :wink: . no thats not right I had an A3 bouy and thought that would be good as thats what most folks run. my tag bouy was not attached yet as we were on our first set of the day... some lessons are learned hard

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I got the big ball, and it has never come close to getting pulled under up there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts