IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get on the river at 6:30 this AM. Wrap 'OL Yeller' with a sardine filet, sprinkle on some Slamola powder and feed it to the depths after making sure the action was just perfect. This plug caught my first springer two years ago so I'm kinda fond of it. Start wrapping relief kwikies when I glance up and the rod tip is trying it's gosh darndest to stay dry. I say to Dad, "FISH". After waiting the obligatory amount of time while line starts coming off the reel, I pick up and FISH ON!! :dance:
A couple of beautiful runs and then he comes right at the boat, I'm thinking I lost him until I catch up to him. It takes a couple more moments until I can get him up and still enough to identify that dang extra fin they forgot at the hatchery. :mad:
Not wanting to harm this magnificent chrome 20lb. nate, I work him to the side of the boat. He comes to me on his side, I hand the rod to Dad, and pull the fish to me with the leader. I pop the belly hook out of his cheek and he thrashes a little. Did I mention that I'm holding the leader.
Before I can get the tail hook out of the corner of his mouth, SNAP, 30 lb. leader breaks. :sick: Remember that I'm fond of this plug. Gone is one of my good friends. It's the irony of it that gets me, fishing the Lewis yesterday a K15 and bobber from bankies comes floating down. Fastwater reaches over and grabs em and then so graciously leaves em in the boat for me.

So, If anyone out there catches or sees a banana colored K15 floating or is in the mouth of a fish you catch, please return it so that I can make it comfortable where it belongs, right next to the dill pickle he's grown fond of. THANKS!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
yep, he was a good plug. Did so much for so many.
His life cut short, way before his prime. Yet, he is on a new journey, joining mr. chromer to the promised land. Good story, steelheadslayer!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
sorry for your loss, do what the guides recomended and run 40-50 lb leaders. it wont make a difference in the bite on the columbia.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Yep FIL is right, use 50lb leaders!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I feel your grief. You will be in our family's thoughts and prayers this week and throughout the remainder of springer season.

I had an old 30+ fish K-12 that got a water leak that I had to "put down" last month. It's so sad - once they get a water leak they just run in circles - so confused, so abnormal, so innefective... You can't stand to keep it in the box anymore with the happy plugs even though you know he's craving every last moment he spends on the boat. I'm still trying to find a place that will cremate it for me and put it in an old bait-butter jar to set on my mantle.

May your plug rest in peace on the spawning grounds of the salmon he so desparately loved to catch.

·
Registered
993 Posts
a moment of silence please :depressed:

thats enough get back to fishin

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all so much for the kind words, they really ease the pain. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm really gonna miss that banana. He was a real chum.

Geek, the plug was hung up on the bottom and I think a bobber and egg fisherman got hung up on it. Pulled the plug free and broke his bobber off in the process. :shrug: :shrug: :cheers:

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Me, I've been doing the opposite. I have been going through the odd colored kwikies this year, giving them once last chance, and then 'fling', they are offered to the fish gods.

Had one boat drift out below me to try and retrieve one of them. :grin:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Silver Hilton,

You should try bashing their brains in with your fish wacker. Line up your A-team and make them watch so they know what is in store for them if they dont produce. Always works for us!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Earl,

I don't know what to say. I know how much it meant to you. <sniff> Ya just hafta be strong and understand somethings are just meant to be.

<sniff> :depressed:

·
Registered
603 Posts
From a tip on Piscatorial Pursuits:

Ever have a strike while plug fishing for salmon or steelhead only to see the fish roll on the surface and snap you off, or have you broken off a fish during the battle with little pressure for apparently no reason??

Unexpected break-offs of fish occur often while fishing plugs and the area within the red circle at right is often the culprit.

What occurs is that when a fish rolls in the line, it sometimes gets caught in the crease in-between the trebles - pinching and sometimes causing the line to snap with even the lightest tension. There is a way to help prevent this from occurring ...

The culprit of lots of long faces!

Simply fill this gap with superglue, epoxy, or even fly-tying head cement as I am doing in this photo. Make sure that you completely fill the gap, sometimes with runnier glues, such as some head cements, two applications will be necessary to build this up enough to keep line from entering this area.

After filling the gap, the line can safely be pulled into this area without fear of the line becoming pinched and breaking ... a sure disappointment if not due to the loss of a nice fish, but perhaps the loss of a favorite plug that has accounted for dozens of sore-mouthed fish."

Not saying that's what happened, just found it interesting. After almost 50 years of fishing you'd think i'd a thunk of that. :razz:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts