IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
A little history on the Elwha,
......a concrete dam was built a few miles from the mouth, no fish ladder installed wiping out a run of very large fish :( Ground beneath the dam wasnt able to hold back the force of the resivoir and blew out a big hole under the dam :doh: making a large concrete bridge :hoboy: Rocks were blasted off the walls of the canyon and pulled under the dam filling in the hole under the dam. Smaller rocks filled in the holes and eventually the reservoir was paved trying to hold back the water. The reservoir is very shallow (around 20 - 30 feet +/-)

I have not seen the dam for almost 20 years. We provided a quote to try and stop/slow the 400 +/- gallons a minute of water leaking under the dam. Our proposal was not accepted. :(

Good to see a big fish in the river :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
Isn''t that dam scheduled for removal? I thought it was done a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Isn''t that dam scheduled for removal? I thought it was done a few years ago.

Next summer. 2011 it's scheduled to come down, along with the Glines Canyon dam. At the time it will be the largest dam removal project in the history of the United States.

There has been a lot of attention given to the Rogue River in Southern Oregon, and for good reason. Great things are happening on the Rogue. Especially in regards to dam removal and fish passage.

But with these dams coming out. Both of which were built without fish passage, to me, is one of the most exciting things I can think of in terms of habitat restoration on such a large scale.

I hope I live long enough to see the Elwha return to it's original form, in part, if not in full!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
So many people say "what an ugly beast". Myself it's beautiful. Maybe not in aesthetics but in it's genetics. Yes the rivers can still produce giant fish.
The head on that fish weighs more than most whole springer's...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.