IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my home in Nehalem and have of lot or gear that I want to get rid of. So i am looking for someone type club for kids that love fishing to donate it to. I would also be interested in a disabled veterans club. Any type of help would be appreciated.
Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
In Redmond Oregon, the fire station has a pond for kids fishing, so check with local fire stations also with whatever veterans organizations you have around.

You can find the 4-H by calling your local extension agent.

Maybe Big Brothers. Maybe the local battered woman's shelter, those kids could use a little cheering up. I don't know how to get i touch with the Boy Scouts, but maybe a local school would know. The library has all sorts of programs for kids, someone there might have a suggestion.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
I am selling my home in Nehalem and have of lot or gear that I want to get rid of. So i am looking for someone type club for kids that love fishing to donate it to. I would also be interested in a disabled veterans club. Any type of help would be appreciated.
Mark
I believe the Assoc of NW Steelheaders through its chapters do a number of youth oriented activities....and they are a 501c3 charity

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wife and I donate several fishing trips each year to organizations that benefit children. I am a service connected disabled veteran. I am currently working with the Central Oregon Veterans ranch using my farm equipment and providing compost. My wife and I also cook one day each month for the workers and volunteers. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE FISHING GEAR. My wife does not believe that one! We are increasing interest in including the vets at the ranch in a variety of fishing trips free for them. I suspect that could possibly require additional gear. When my new boat, a Rogue Coastal 24, is complete we expect to fully launch this program. If this fits your generous offer PM me or call 541-420-8794 Dana. The veterans ranch is a 501C3 organization which could give you a tax benefit. CWYA!

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I'm curious as to how often you do fishing days for kids/vets and what kind of fishing they do.
I'm curious as to how often you do fishing days for kids/vets and what kind of fishing they do.
Because of the Covid 19 we he have not done the fishing day the last two years but hope to do it in 22. We have done this for over 30 years at the hatchery. The state donates 1500 Rainbow trout for the event. We get about 300 kids from all over. they fish in the raceways catch 4 fish we clean and ice down. We have a volunteer with each child. Big BQ at noon, Tillamook Ice Cream and Pepsi all day. I could tell you stories all day about watching these kids catch fish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mark
Good on you for paying it forward Mark! A buddy recently sold his boat and decided to only fish with guides. So he asked me to find a good home for his gear, deserving kids or an NPO benefiting those in need. Turns out most of the groups, youth and otherwise prefer monetary donations. That way they are able to purchase the exact gear needed. I ended up giving the all the crab pots, rods/ reels, etc to friends that could afford to buy it new but I asked them to send donations to the 2 groups I picked. And they all did!

My advice is to have a "gear sale" that all proceeds will be donated. I think you'll find people, like me, would over pay for items I don't really need. My wife and I no longer donate food to our local Food Banks, they can take $1 donated and turn it into $8-10 worth of food people in need actually want to eat.

And don't get discouraged, at times the process of helping others isn't easy as we think it should be, stay the course. In the end all that really matters is that you feel pride in your efforts, no matter the size of the impact.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Good on you for paying it forward Mark! A buddy recently sold his boat and decided to only fish with guides. So he asked me to find a good home for his gear, deserving kids or an NPO benefiting those in need. Turns out most of the groups, youth and otherwise prefer monetary donations. That way they are able to purchase the exact gear needed. I ended up giving the all the crab pots, rods/ reels, etc to friends that could afford to buy it new but I asked them to send donations to the 2 groups I picked. And they all did!

My advice is to have a "gear sale" that all proceeds will be donated. I think you'll find people, like me, would over pay for items I don't really need. My wife and I no longer donate food to our local Food Banks, they can take $1 donated and turn it into $8-10 worth of food people in need actually want to eat.

And don't get discouraged, at times the process of helping others isn't easy as we think it should be, stay the course. In the end all that really matters is that you feel pride in your efforts, no matter the size of the impact.
Tillamook Anglers take donations for our annual garage sale and let folks make offer on products and we make more than if we price items.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts