IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a muzzleloader hunt in Oregon next month and I am desperately searching for percussion caps. The caps that I have now do not work very well. I am lucky if the gun goes off on the third try. Does anyone have some RWS 1075 plus caps they would be willing to sell me? I would take as many as someone would be willing to part with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you tried replacing the nipple and or cleaned out the nipple channel ? I have done a lot of muzzle loader shooting , rifle , shotgun and revolvers and can say that I have never had a hang or misfire if the nipple was in good shape . Remmie or CCI caps should do the trick . What propellant are you using ? Black or substitute ? Depending on the rifle configuration , a nipple that allows the use of 209 shot shell primer may be a fix . Good luck on your hunt . WR

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gun is brand new, never been fired until today and cleaned beforehand. My set up is Traditions northwest vortex, pyrodex select powder, and schuetzen musket caps. Traditions specifically suggest not using schuetzen caps, but they were the only primers I could find. They worked flawlessly on my buddies gun. I have heard nothing but good things about the RWS 1075s, but they are nowhere to be found. Might try to pick up some CCI on Gunbroker if no one has anything here in Oregon.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Unless your rifle also comes with a standard #11 nipple the RWS 1075s (or any other #11 size cap) won't work on your musket nipple. I'm assuming you actually meant the RWS 1081 cap which is their musket cap.

Caps only going off after multiple hammer falls is usually one of two things, a weak hammer spring and/or a cap not fully seated on the nipple. Given the stated warning from Traditions, I'm guessing the scheutzen caps don't fit properly on their nipple and you're needing multiple hammer falls to get the cap seated before it will fire.

I also believe there have been reports of this gun having misfire issues due to weak springs from the factory, but I'm not an inline guy and may have that wrong.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless your rifle also comes with a standard #11 nipple the RWS 1075s (or any other #11 size cap) won't work on your musket nipple. I'm assuming you actually meant the RWS 1081 cap which is their musket cap.

Caps only going off after multiple hammer falls is usually one of two things, a weak hammer spring and/or a cap not fully seated on the nipple. Given the stated warning from Traditions, I'm guessing the scheutzen caps don't fit properly on their nipple and you're needing multiple hammer falls to get the cap seated before it will fire.

I also believe there have been reports of this gun having misfire issues due to weak springs from the factory, but I'm not an inline guy and may have that wrong.
I am definitely having seating issues. I was told by muzzle-loaders.com out of La Grande that my rifle would work better with either CCI #11's or RWS 1075's, but both are pretty hard to find right now.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am definitely having seating issues. I was told by muzzle-loaders.com out of La Grande that my rifle would work better with either CCI #11's or RWS 1075's, but both are pretty hard to find right now.
You keep stating you are using scheutzen MUSKET CAPS, but then state you are looking for a completely different size of cap (#11). They are NOT interchangeable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You keep stating you are using scheutzen MUSKET CAPS, but then state you are looking for a completely different size of cap (#11). They are NOT interchangeable.
I am using Scheutzen musket cap because they are the only primer I can find. The nipple on my gun is for a #11. That is why I am having seating issue, and why I am looking for #11's.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
For future reference, a MUSKET cap designates a type of cap that is very large and has wings on it. It is significantly different from a #11 cap. (see photo) You were confusing the hell out of me as to what you were looking for.
Cuisine Dish Ingredient Drink Fashion accessory

If you're not using Scheutzen musket caps then what size scheutzen cap are you using, 10 or 11?

Reactions: D4D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Schuetzen musket caps. I am in Portland, but will be in Pacific City, Eugene, Salem, Glide, The Dalles and Summer Lake over the next couple weeks, so could meet pretty much anywhere.
If you are going to be in Eugene, then swing by The Gun Works in Springfield. It's a hole-in-the-wall muzzleloader shop. Good people, great selection. They very well might have the caps you need.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
If all you can get are musket caps you should probably try to find a musket cap nipple for your gun. May or may not exist, I don't know anything about that particular gun.

It's a little late now but it was rather foolish to put in for the tag if you didn't have the gun already up and working well given the component situation of the past couple years. :( Maybe you should skip using the ML tag and buy an OTC blacktail tag, then hunt with a centerfire. Not what you want to hear but you've backed yourself into a bit of a corner at this point.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I've got a brand new pack of CCI 11's you can have. I bought them on mistake when I got my muzzleloader and will never use them. I live on outskirts of Pacific City if you want to pick them up when your here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just bought 800 rws 1081 musket caps from my local gun shop. They don't have no 11. As previously stated, try to get a different nipple. They used to come with one. If you can't find one I might have one from my old gun you can have ( if it will fit, my old gun is a first generation vortex from like 12 years ago). Post a picture of your current nipple and I'll see if it matches

1 - 20 of 28 Posts