IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey iFishers,

Will be taking the family to Sunriver on Aug 20th and will of course want to get some fishing in. Having never been to Sunriver before I have no idea where to go or what to target. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

TIA!

WLW

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Do you prefer to drown worms, cast hardware, flyfish, troll....and within what distance of Sunriver?

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
There is a hatchery pretty close to there on the Fall river that is usually a pretty good, spot fly fishing only. Also the Fire river (i think thats the name of it) is good this time of year lots of back road driving to get there but pretty productive with a fly also.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You really need to pick up a map of teh neighborhood. Streams in the area include Big Deschutes, Little Deschutes, Fall River, Crooked River - LOTS of rattlers, Ana River, Chewaucan River - bad year there, lo water, Upper Deschutes above Crane Prairie, Beaver Creek, Odell Creek, Davis Creek and others.
Spring River, the Williamson and Sprague River are all about 2.5 hours south.

Still waters include Crane Prairie, Wickiup, Cultus, Little Cultus, Elk, Sparks, Devils, Little Lava, Big Lava, Hosmer, North Twin, South Twin, Davis, East, Paulina, and Todd lakes within an hour's drive, plus maybe 30 hike-in lakes. Within another hour or so are Odell, Waldo - which has few fish but great scenery, Crescent, Gold, Charleton, and a ton of others.

All of these fish well with a fly. Check the regs for individual water regulations. Check with the forest service to find out what roads are closed due to recent fires including the Davis fire.

Have fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If your looking for fly fishing, the fly shop right in the Sunriver mall (The Hook) has pretty good reports on where its hot, and what the hatch is. I've had luck just following their recommendations.

I've also had luck fishing the lagoon right at the Sunriver marina. Fish it right before dark and bring your mosquito repellent. I pulled an 18 incher out of there on a hot shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts